• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register will start charging people to read online

My kid plays water polo and swims.  The OC register prep coverage of those very niche sports is unique and exceptional.  I'll pay.  I can't get that coverage anywhere else.

There is nothing in their Angels coverage or any other pro sports that I'd pay for.

BTW, I applaud these newspapers for doing this.  We can discuss whether we like (fill in the blank OC Register writer), but it is asinine to put sweat into a product and give it away for free.

yeah the more i think about it the more okay i am with it.

there's always the exceptional high quality of the l.a. times for those who dislike the OC register.

and by high quality i mean the sticky, gooey crud you step on in the street that makes you feel like you need to bathe yourself in Purell.

BTW, I applaud these newspapers for doing this.  We can discuss whether we like (fill in the blank OC Register writer), but it is asinine to put sweat into a product and give it away for free.

Or they could just earn money through advertising like the other 95% of the journalism websites on the internet.

I should tell that to my buddy who approaches six figures selling ad space (print and online) for a much smaller publication. 

I'm just telling you what I read:

Here it is: In 2012, newspapers lost $16 in print ads for every $1 earned in digital ads. And it's getting worse, according to a new report by Pew. In 2011, the ratio was just 10-to-1.

The digital ad revolution, always "just around the corner", remains tantalizingly out of reach for most newspapers, which explains why some stalwarts like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal have moved to subscription models for their websites to bolster digital ad growth. Just today, the Washington Post announced a paywall.

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-18%20at%202.21.3

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/03/this-is-the-scariest-statistic-about-the-newspaper-business-today/274125/

I'll stand by my statement.  Newspapers don't make shiat from online ads.

BTW, I applaud these newspapers for doing this. We can discuss whether we like (fill in the blank OC Register writer), but it is asinine to put sweat into a product and give it away for free.

Absolutely!

But the content has to be worth the price of subscription. 

I wouldn't pay for Whicker or Miller's stuff. I like Marcia Smith's feature stories, but not at that price. 

Just an FYI for all those who read Jeff Fletcher and Marcia Smith's coverage of the Angels, you gots to pay now. As of midnight tonight it goes behind a Paywall until 90 days from it being published. I liked reading it but its not worth $2 a day, the rate for non-subscribers. If you get the paper you can read it on days you get it delivered only. That is all, you may return to your regularly scheduled programming.