• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looking at getting a second dog... opinions?

I had an Olde English Bulldog. He was the coolest friggen dog and a total asshole. If he didn't like you, you could sit down to pet him and he would look at you with disdain and move just far enough away so you couldn't reach him anymore (side note...my gf at the time, and now wife, likes to remind me what an asshole that dog was). I've never seen a dog with the ability to just ignore people the way he could. The Olde English breed is cool because they are a bit more athletic than the regular bulldog. You could actually take them on waks and they would excercise...but like all Bulldogs, as he got older he had lots of health issues. Not nearly as much as a normal bulldog, but enough that there was a lot of money coming out of pocket.

We currently have a lab/terrier mix and a boxer/terrier mix. The boxer terrier (the second dog) is a little high strung and needs a lot of attention. The lab terrier does need a lot of exercise and would run 10 miles a day if she could. As I mentioned, they will run in our backyard for hours.

Had a German Shepherd mix (likely Akita) growing up. Just an awesome dog. Incredibly perceptive and sweet, while also defensive of her people. When I left for college, the dog would sleep by my bedroom door every night, then search it in the morning for any sign of me.

My parents had an English Bulldog. He was so friggen funny...but the poor guy just had one health issue after another. Allergies which caused huge boils on his paws, breathing issues...strokes. It was so very sad and just about the time they started thinking about was it fair to him to have him go through one painful issue after another he just simply dropped dead.

I just can't imagine having another pure breed, especially an English Bulldog pure breed.

Don't get dogs from breeders, waste of money, pure breeds usually have many health problems, and you have no idea how well the dog was raised.

The pound is safer route, usually. And you're saving a dog that will be killed! All of the best dogs me and my family have ever owned, we got at the pound

Our first dog we owned my wife brought home from the grocery store, someone had a box of puppies and convinced her it was a Lab mix. All I saw was Sheppard, all my best friend who was a vet saw was Sheppard. It wasn't a pure bred but there was no Lab in her. Sweet dog that played with the kids, and patrolled the front yard but never left the boundaries unless one of us or the kids walked down the street.

MT will appreciate this, she didn't like cops. Would growl at patrol cars that drove by and any cop on the street. She also was a racist. Go figure, a German Sheppard that didn't like minorities. She chased a black kid that had stole some two bit necklace and tried to escape though our yard. It was kind of funny in that she had this kid scared shitless perched on our fence frozen in his tracks and then growled at the police that came to pluck the kid off the fence and arrest him for assault and theft. It was a standoff for a while, the cops not willing to challenge the dog, the kid not willing to jump. We herded her into the house so justice could prevail.

Sadly she passed away from a liver disease at 4 years old. We never knew she was sick. On the 4th of July she was out front playing with the kids during a block party, getting wet in the wading pool and chomping on beef rib bones. Three days later she wouldn't get up off the carpet. I took her to my buddy and the test results said her liver was so far gone she shouldn't have survived that long. He told me some dogs just refuse to let their owner see them in pain.

My parents had an English Bulldog. He was so friggen funny...but the poor guy just had one health issue after another. Allergies which caused huge boils on his paws, breathing issues...strokes. It was so very sad and just about the time they started thinking about was it fair to him to have him go through one painful issue after another he just simply dropped dead.

I just can't imagine having another pure breed, especially an English Bulldog pure breed.

I have been fortunate with mine. he is now 5 years old and I have not had any issues with him. The vet said that he has really good joints and respiratory system for a bulldog. he's great with people but it's game on when it comes to strange dogs.

We met a couple dogs yesterday.

One was a 4 month old black lab mix.  I don't want a puppy and this was why, the dog was all over my daughter, and liked to bite.  His teeth were super sharp.  The bites were playful but no chance we get a dog like that with a small dog and child in the house.

The second was an Australian Shepherd/Lab mix.  She was a good dog but just too much energy for us.  We figured she would be with the Australian Shepherd in her but it was worth checking her out.

We also met the other lab mix that was postponed.  She was a great dog, everything we were looking for except for the fact that she had some Am Staff in her face, and the foster agreed.  Not going to risk it which was really unfortunate because she was small, and not with the muscular body you see from pits.  Gotta make sure we get the right dog though.

We are being patient, I am sure we will find the right dog eventually.

Aussies are way high strung, same with other herding dogs like Corgis.

My buddy and his wife have three dogs: an Aussie, a Corgi, and a Golden Retriever

They're like a pack of wild and crazy animals when they get worked up. Which is always.

Has anyone talked about the intelligence of some of the breeds? German Shepherds are smart, and I've heard that poodles are supposed to be the smartest.

I think intelligence goes a long way towards their temperment and ability to be trained.

Also, smaller dog = smaller brain. It's science.

Poodles can be pretty small. Jack Russels are the smartest of all and they aren't very big.

Intelligence is only part of it. Super smart dogs get bored easily and be really destructive.

Do not even think of a Jack. They take hyperactivity to a new level. Same with Australians, they go destructive if the don't get enough attention. My mother in law was dumb enough to get one and the dog tore every curtain to shreds every time she left the house.

Poodles are just mouthy little dogs that can be temperamental. Mixing these breeds are the best idea if you want to settle them down.

I have to wonder why you want to pick a second dog that isn't what you've had success with?

Edited by Eric Notti

I am not interested in any terrier, especially Jack.  I just mentioned them in response to Hollywood's post.

I wouldn't say I want to pick any dog, we just are keeping it open.  We knew going in that the Aussie wasn't likely a match for us but we still checked her out.

If we come across another Schnoodle or Schnauzer we will definitely check it out.  Not any out here though.

While I never owned one I had friends with both Labs and Shepherds so we are open to them.  They were excellent dogs.  Like I said we aren't rushing, we won't pull the trigger unless we feel the dog is perfect for us.

Super smart dogs get bored easily and be really destructive.

Truth.

This is why you beat them until they obey.  The smart ones will get the hint.

My dad says he had a mini-shepherd/poodle mix at one point.  Best dog he ever owned, apparently.  Named it Spot after Cal W's 'dog'.

I have two boxers, and they're not too smart, but still get into plenty of trouble. They love top dig and chew up things. Not inside the house, but they'll chew up plants, branches, kids toys, shoes.  They're 9 now, and starting to mellow out a bit, although they can still dig a mean hole once in a while. They are super good and patient with kids, and will protect/bark at anyone getting close to the front gate.

Together, they're a mischievous duo who I wouldn't trust off-leash. But individually, they listen quite well and are obedient. Effective training is key, because Boxers are know to be difficult. Good luck. Having two dogs is a challenge, like others have said, but hopefully its rewarding for you and your original dog.

Meet Ghost, she just turned seven years old.  She is a Labrador Retriever mix.  She is older than we thought we would get but she is an amazing job.  She does well on a leash and comes when we call her.  She gets along great with Lucky.  I have to admit I thought it would be a while before we found our dog but she is perfect.

For GoT fans, she is named after John Snow's dire wolf.

20140702_192001.jpg

20140702_192017.jpg

20140702_192614.jpg

Edited by nate