• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5-Man Infield

Taylor

1. Is Scioscia the only manager who still uses it?

2. Does it ever work?

It seems like such an easy scenario to get around if you're the batter. Just hit a ball in the air and you're 33% more likely than usual to avoid an outfielder.

2. Does it ever work?

It seems like such an easy scenario to get around if you're the batter. Just hit a ball in the air and you're 33% more likely than usual to avoid an outfielder.

It's actually pretty standard in that specific situation. A ball to the OF ends the game so having an extra OF doesn't help you.

With only one out Mike shoulda loaded the bases instead.

Not necessarily, they may have wanted Grilli to throw borderline low pitchers to the hitter to ensure that he would hit a ground ball.  Then if the hitter wouldn't bite he would have had an open base to work with before the next batter came up.  Pretty much irrelevant now.

I think I saw it work once in spring training.

Liar.

I was at the spring training game this year where Scioscia used it successfully.  Tie game with runners 1st and 3rd, winning run at 3rd in the bottom of the 10th. Groundout to left fielder (playing between 1B and 2B) for a game-ending 7-4-3 double play. 

Edited by ScottLux

2. Does it ever work?

Not sure you understand why it's used (ie today). Deep fly ball = game over, even if caught. DP ends inning.

Put someone up in the top of the 9th with a chance of getting on base.

Freese?

Really?

Is Cowgill needed to tend to Pujols swollen groin nodes?

He might beat out a bunt or an IF grounder, but Freese pretty much strikes out in late inning AB's.

Cowgill has a MUCH better chance to get on base, but Freese needs to have his fragile ego soothed...

He's a 2011 WS MVP, doncha know?

Put someone up in the top of the 9th with a chance of getting on base.

Freese?

Really?

Is Cowgill needed to tend to Pujols swollen groin nodes?

He might beat out a bunt or an IF grounder, but Freese pretty much strikes out in late inning AB's.

Cowgill has a MUCH better chance to get on base, but Freese needs to have his fragile ego soothed...

He's a 2011 WS MVP, doncha know?

Can you please stop regurgitating the same old tired mantra in every damn thread?

This thread is about the utilization of a 5-man infield.

Focus

Shallow bloop fly ball or line drive = more likely to be caught when there are three outfielders instead of just two.

But there should always be a play on most ground balls.  On the other hand the hitter knows that the pitcher is trying to put the pitch in a position to hit it on the ground.

You trust your infielders for 9 innings every other game of the year to be positioned correctly and scoop up everything, then once in a blue moon this situation comes up and I think it is about as effective as putting on exaggerated shifts. Probably not adding to the defense level as much as you may think.

I've seen it done by other teams and I've not seen many that survive trying to get those extra outs using the added infielder. I'm neither opposed or in favor of it but I would prefer to see it employed by the other team instead of our own.