• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rate Of U.S. Gun Violence Has Fallen Since 1993, Study Says

And the majority of homicides have been from blacks(gang violence? illegally owned guns?)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/07/181998015/rate-of-u-s-gun-violence-has-fallen-since-1993-study-says

"In 2004 (the most recent year of data available), among state prison inmates who possessed a gun at the time of the offense, fewer than two percent bought their firearm at a flea market or gun show," according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. "About 10 percent of state prison inmates said they purchased it from a retail store or pawnshop, 37 percent obtained it from family or friends, and another 40 percent obtained it from an illegal source."

Edited by Poozy

Probably shouldn't have quoted that portion of the article.

If you guys read the short article, you'd see that the data is as recent as 2011

"Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49 percent lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation's population grew," according to the Pew study. "The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75 percent lower in 2011 than in 1993."

Edited by Poozy

I don't have much of a horse in this race so I don't really care to read the article so I'm not sure of all the info is ten years old but if it is wouldn't that coincide pretty nicely with the ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines?

This is what the government funded report done by the University of Pennsylvania concluded:

In sum, AWs and LCMs were used in up to a quarter of gun crimes prior to the 
1994 AW-LCM ban. By most estimates, AWs were used in less than 6% of gun crimes 
even before the ban. Some may have perceived their use to be more widespread, 
however, due to the use of AWs in particularly rare and highly publicized crimes such as 
mass shootings (and, to a lesser extent, murders of police), survey reports suggesting high 
levels of AW ownership among some groups of offenders, and evidence that some AWs 
are more attractive to criminal than lawful gun buyers. 

In contrast, guns equipped with LCMs – of which AWs are a subset – are used in 
roughly 14% to 26% of gun crimes. Accordingly, the LCM ban has greater potential for 
affecting gun crime. However, it is not clear how often the ability to fire more than 10 
shots without reloading (the current magazine capacity limit) affects the outcomes of gun 
attacks (see Chapter 9). All of this suggests that the ban’s impact on gun violence is 
likely to be small. 

Doesn't Chicago have some of the most stringent gun laws in the country?

yeah, i think they do.

the problem here seems to be with gang members mostly, and i imagine most if not all of those guns are owned illegally.

i would love to see gun rights groups give suggestions about how to curb this huge, huge problem. those tasked with making or enforcing gun laws aren't addressing this part of the problem, so maybe some fresh eyes on the issue can help.

Come on, Tank. the problem isn't gun violence. It's violence. Guns just happen to be the most convenient means to an end. Get people to quit seeing others as threats and from hating each other and the gun deaths will drop.

name any period in history that was free of violence. take as much time as you like.

while i absolutely agree with you that violence is a huge problem, guns make it that much easier for people to do something violent, and the sheer number of guns out there is frightening. why not do something positive to remove part of the problem by going after the guns that being held illegally? i'd think that gun rights activists would want to do something to protect their rights to lawfully own guns by trying to rid the country of the illegally owned ones. after all, every time new legislation comes up, all we hear is "this will only punish the legal gun owners, and not the criminals." so let's go after the criminals.

so they don't have any more recent info on this than from ten years ago?

This is fairly typical of any studies regarding the criminal justice system. There is no uniform system of reporting across law enforcement agencies, and it takes an incredible amount of time to review, interpret and tabulate the information and draw any conclusions from it. Probably no two agencies record information the same way.

• 2 weeks later...