• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NHL Draft

I was bored and looking for something sports-related to watch this morning and I saw the NHL Draft on the program guide. Even though I don't know any of the guys being drafted, I decided to watch the first few picks. The main thing that struck me is that Gary Bettman has to be the most hated commissioner in professional sports (OK, maybe Bud Selig gives him a run for his money). The fans in Philadelphia booed from the second Bettman was introduced until the very end of his opening remarks. At one point he said "Isn't this supposed to be the City of Brotherly Love?" He also told the Philly fans "I admire your passion." He probably wishes that it wasn't directed at him.

He also announced this morning that the Phoenix franchise is adding to a trend in professional sports that I have never liked: Adopting a state name. They are now the Arizona Coyotes - which ought to boost attendance markedly.

My friend and I went to the draft Friday. I've never heard booing as loud as when Bettman first came to the podium. And they kept it up every single pick. Thirty times Gary Bettman approached the podium and all thirty times the crowd booed him. Bettman learned under David Stern and I think he needs to embrace the hatred. Stern's final NBA Draft was amazing because all he did was troll the crowd all night.

I highly recommend going to the draft if it's ever around where any of you live. Great, fun atmosphere. The Cup was there and the NHL also had a roped off display of all of the league awards and trophies.