• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Catching Metric

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11127248/how-catcher-framing-becoming-great-skill-smart-teams-new-york-yankees-espn-magazine

Interesting article, also confirms that Ianetta is the 2nd worst framing catcher in all of baseball. Hadn't really heard of Lucroy until a couple weeks ago either, turns out, he's a beast! Why can't we draft a catcher like that??

Hank Conger has saved 11.8 runs this year, while Ianetta has saved -10.2. It's really not even a fair competition. Now the question is, does Ianettas ability to take a walk and get on base outweigh his ineptitude behind the plate? Does it outweigh it by the 21 run difference between Conger and Ianetta?

Hank Conger has saved 11.8 runs this year, while Ianetta has saved -10.2. It's really not even a fair competition. Now the question is, does Ianettas ability to take a walk and get on base outweigh his ineptitude behind the plate? Does it outweigh it by the 21 run difference between Conger and Ianetta?

No.

Lucroy may be the best catcher in baseball right now, or at least in the elite along with Yadier and Buster. So to ask, "Why can't we draft a catcher like that?" Is almost like other teams asking "Why can't we draft a player like Mike Trout?"

I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but I just want to point out that Lucroy is one of the three best catchers in all of baseball, and best this year. Great catchers don't grow on trees.

We actually have two of the best back-up catchers in baseball.

Who by Fangraphs WAR have been outplayed only by the As, Brewers and Braves. They're tied with the Indians.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=11,d

Not bad for backup catchers

Lucroy may be the best catcher in baseball right now, or at least in the elite along with Yadier and Buster. So to ask, "Why can't we draft a catcher like that?" Is almost like other teams asking "Why can't we draft a player like Mike Trout?"

I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but I just want to point out that Lucroy is one of the three best catchers in all of baseball, and best this year. Great catchers don't grow on trees.

It's also very difficult to figure out who will develop into a star at the position. At one time Jeff Mathis was considered one of the best catching prospects in baseball.

but stradling said Iannetta is good

What Stradlings's point was, is there's not enough of a difference between the two to be upset about it every time. It's incredibly easy to watch Ianetta and assume every time he makes a mistake that Conger wouldn't make that mistake. How bout every time Conger pops out you assume Ianetta would get a hit, or every time Conger throws a ball to second that Howie has to leave his feet for that Ianetta throws the guy out. I completely agree with pitch framing, but I seriously doubt there in a 20 run difference between the two.

What Stradlings's point was, is there's not enough of a difference between the two to be upset about it every time. It's incredibly easy to watch Ianetta and assume every time he makes a mistake that Conger wouldn't make that mistake. How bout every time Conger pops out you assume Ianetta would get a hit, or every time Conger throws a ball to second that Howie has to leave his feet for that Ianetta throws the guy out. I completely agree with pitch framing, but I seriously doubt there in a 20 run difference between the two.

You doubt the stats? How dare you doubt math!