• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Relief Targets

Robert: Very good article but one question: On the list of "possible" departures from the 25 man roster if a deal is made, you mentioned Shoemaker.....don't think he's going anywhere soon.....reasonably small sample size but unless he just totally tanks in his next few starts,he's earned his ticket for the rest of the year, either as a starter or reliever....

No I agree with you DMVol, I was merely pointing out that he was a possible candidate to be sent down. You're correct it seems unlikely at this point based on how well he is doing and his peripherals stats are outstanding. Skaggs or Santiago seem more likely to move down at this point if that happened rather than Matt.

I'm pretty sure that Dipoto will have to stay close to the budget he already has so I would'nt expect any big $$$ trade acquisitions.

that could be true.

But I think since the team is such a realistic playoff team this year, and we dont want to thin out the farm any more than we have to, taking on a salary dump might be the smartest move

boesch i agree with, but shuck finished 3rd in roy voting. some dumb ass team will buy that, i'm looking at you padres.

No GM will "buy that" in regards to Shuck. Now if the team wants to shed salary they could try to use that angle to sell it to their fans.

Let's do a thought exercise:

J.B. Shuck has one year of pre-arbitration left. Assuming he will be tendered a contract next year and in his first arbitration year that would likely total $250,000+$510,000+1200000=$1,960,000 (Half of 2014, 2015, and 2016). Also assuming he produces 0.2 WAR in a part-time 4th outfielder role that would be 0.1+0.2 +0.2 WAR = 0.5 WAR (Half of 2014, 2015, and 2016). Finally assuming 1 WAR = $6,410,000 in 2014 and +10% each succeeding year you'd have 0.1 WAR * $6,410,000 + 0.2 WAR * $7,051,000 + 0.2 WAR * $7,756,100 = $3,602,420.

So taking that total WAR value and subtracting out the projected salary gives you $3,602,420 - $ 1,960,000 = $1,642,420. That is a rough estimate of Shuck's value for the rest of 2014, 2015, and 2016 in a part-time role.

Doing the same for Huston Street who is in the last half year before he hits free agency, you project him to create 0.3 WAR (note FanGraphs ZiPS projects him for only 0.1 WAR the remainder of the year, but I went higher for this projection) for the rest of 2014. Half of his salary for 2014 is $3,500,000. Again if 1 WAR = $6,410,000, then $6,410,000 * 0.3 WAR = $1,923,000.

So subtracting his salary ($3,500,000) from his projected WAR value gives you $1,923,000 - $3,500,000 = (- $1,577,000)

Yes I am making a case that J.B. Shuck has more real dollar value than Huston Street. Are we talking huge amounts of money? No we are not. But this is the real reality about relievers (and bench pieces like Shuck), they don't have a lot of real value for teams.

The San Diego Padres will trade Street for whichever team is willing to give up the most excess value in either a MLB player or prospect(s) (duh!). However I serioulsy doubt that any team will be willing to give up more than a bench player similar to Shuck with a couple years of team control or a mid-level to low-level prospect. The team that pays two prospects is REALLY overpaying unless they are throwaways.

Edit: You could make a case that Street has more remaining WAR value but it only brings him closer to a $0 value for the remainder of the year. A case could even be made that Street has more value to a contending team like the Angels and thus his deadline trade value is greater than Shuck's. I'm fine with that but I was merely trying to point out that there values are relatively close no matter how valuable of a late-inning reliever you think Street is.

Edited by ettin

Padres not expecting to trade closer Huston Street

Padres president Mike Dee said Wednesday he doesn't foresee the team trading closer Huston Street, who has a $7 million team option for 2015 in his contract.

"I don't anticipate that Huston will be wearing any other type of uniform this season," Dee said.