• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels are on a ROLL!!!

Chuck

The Angels are 6-0 since Ibanez was released. Coincidence?

Yes.

Partially, but the PAs his replacements have taken have been better than what we could reasonably have expected from Ibanez.

It may go to show how overrated club house chemistry is with regard to causing wins. I think the reverse relationship may be much closer to true.

I am fired.up but I am realistic. Our bullpen is too weak to be legit WS contenders. Either we trade.for help (and I don't know who we have trade) or we.pray for in house improvement. Now Bedrock can return and possibly lyrics be our solution. Morin and Smith is fine but who else in the bullpen do you go to? People may laugh but that is probably why they are still giving Frieri confidence. Until an in house solution or trade is made we have no choice but to continue to go with Frieri and Jepson.

As much as I agree the bullpen is doo doo, how much better is detroits? Most consider them contenders though.

Dogs bully is pretty covered in gas too. Maybe not as bad as ours, but still very shakey

Thank you for saying this.   

If anyone watches MLB Network for any length of time sooner or later they will listen to one of their talking heads talking about the Angels soft underbelly being the bullpen.   Fine, it is..  But guess what?  Detroit and Toronto, two of the three division leaders in the AL have bullpens that are statistically worse.  More hits allowed, higher OPS allowed, weaker K rates, Detroit has allowed fewer walks, but as a whole both those pens are worse although they have allowed fewer blown saves.  So, in essence they have either been lucky to a degree.

So if people question the Angels as viable contenders what do they have to say about those other two teams?  

Thank you for saying this.   

If anyone watches MLB Network for any length of time sooner or later they will listen to one of their talking heads talking about the Angels soft underbelly being the bullpen.   Fine, it is..  But guess what?  Detroit and Toronto, two of the three division leaders in the AL have bullpens that are statistically worse.  More hits allowed, higher OPS allowed, weaker K rates, Detroit has allowed fewer walks, but as a whole both those pens are worse although they have allowed fewer blown saves.  So, in essence they have either been lucky to a degree.

So if people question the Angels as viable contenders what do they have to say about those other two teams?  

I'd have to say that they play in weaker divisions.   :)

BTW, it depends on how you look at the pen in terms of who is the worst.  The halos have the lowest total pen WAR of -0.8 in all of baseball.  They have a WPA of -0.12 for 20th overall.  

Fangraphs also tracks something called shutdowns and meltdowns or whether the reliever increased or decreased the team win probability by 6%

The halos have 59 shutdowns.  24th worst

they have 32 meltdowns or 11th best.  So they've done a decent job of minimizing the damage.  Or the pen has actually been a little lucky and based on their numbers, it could have actually affected more games.  

Jepsen actually leads the team in meltdowns