• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres getting calls on Street, Benoit

Chuck

Just adding Street doesn't make the Angels favorites.

They need two back end relievers and a top SP.  They can't fill all those gaps so why waste the future for still a good but not deep team?  Makes no sense.

I don't believe that's true. Running scared and calling index in June makes no sense to me.

If the Angels farm system is barren, why should anyone be afraid of trading the prospects we have.  After all, they aren't good right?  You can't have it both ways.  

Either the Angels have a completely underrated system that's produced Grant Green, C.J. Cron, Collin Cowgill, Kole Calhoun, Garrett Richards and Mike Morin with more on the way, just in the past two years.....

Or they're a barren system with a bunch of fringe prospects that'll likely never be superstars, like Cron, Green, Cowgill, Calhoun and Morin....

The media's trying to play both sides of the argument and judging by the opinion of non-Angel fans, they're winning.  The Angels have a TERRIBLE farm system, right up until it's time for trading, then they suddenly have a few surprise prospects that are good.  

Case in point, Randal Grichuk.  Never got any attention in the Angels system other than being the guy drafted before Mike Trout.  He's traded to St. Louis and suddenly he's a future power hitting corner OF that does a lot of things right.  It's stupid. 

If the Angels farm system is barren, why should anyone be afraid of trading the prospects we have.  After all, they aren't good right?  You can't have it both ways.  

Either the Angels have a completely underrated system that's produced Grant Green, C.J. Cron, Collin Cowgill, Kole Calhoun, Garrett Richards and Mike Morin with more on the way, just in the past two years.....

Or they're a barren system with a bunch of fringe prospects that'll likely never be superstars, like Cron, Green, Cowgill, Calhoun and Morin....

The media's trying to play both sides of the argument and judging by the opinion of non-Angel fans, they're winning.  The Angels have a TERRIBLE farm system, right up until it's time for trading, then they suddenly have a few surprise prospects that are good.  

Case in point, Randal Grichuk.  Never got any attention in the Angels system other than being the guy drafted before Mike Trout.  He's traded to St. Louis and suddenly he's a future power hitting corner OF that does a lot of things right.  It's stupid. 

They still need depth.  If you trade away the better prospects, your depth is left to be just the crappy prospects.  If someone gets hurt, you are better off with a kinda crappy player (Bedrock) than a really crappy player (Kohn).

A's have 4 relievers that are the caliber of Street and you think Street would make the Angels favorites?

I don't believe that's true either. They have an abundance of lefties which allows them to use their pen differently and play more matchups. Getting Street to close and dedicating Santiago to the pen allows us to play more matchup instead of defining innings so it makes everyone in the pen better. I'm not calling him a magic bullet just a piece that fits well and would be worth giving up pretty much any single name who's not in the starting rotation or lineup.

I don't believe that's true either. They have an abundance of lefties which allows them to use their pen differently and play more matchups. Getting Street to close and dedicating Santiago to the pen allows us to play more matchup instead of defining innings so it makes everyone in the pen better. I'm not calling him a magic bullet just a piece that fits well and would be worth giving up pretty much any single name who's not in the starting rotation or lineup.

That's definetely not true. They have a mix of righties and lefties. Otero and Gregerson are both righties.

Well they have lost multiple games due to a crappy pen.  They would be tied or ahead of the A's if their pen was even average.

Right but what's done is done. Is getting Street going to make them 4 games better than the A's?

I'm all for trying, just not by trading Bredrock

Technically, yes.  Both were obtained with players from the system.    Not unlike what the A's have been doing.

I guess in that way, that's true. Although the Grant Green case is probably more circuitous than normal given what happened with Callaspo.

That's not how I read what Scotty said though. Perhaps I misread it.

Wait, the Angels' farm system produced Grant Green and Collin Cowgill?

That's news to me

The Angels brought in Cowgill in 2013, when he was a AAA player without any extended success or stays in the major leagues. The held onto him for an additional year of development in AAA before making him their reserve OF.

When the Angels brought in Grant Green, he hadn't recorded a hit in the majors and was seen as a moderate hitter without any true position. They worked with him the entire offseason and early this season to make him a competent LF, 3B, SS, 2B and 1B. It's still a work in progress, but as of right now, he's competent in LF and 2B. He can fill in at SS, 3B and 1B if the situation arises. That's a lot more than Oakland could say about him. Not only that, he's hitting the ball in the major leagues and looks primed for an everyday role beginning next year. So there has been considerable growth in his case.

It's very similar to what teams like Oakland and Tampa Bay do. buying up guys that are too old to be prospects but also quite gifted with not much left to prove in AA/AAA. After a year or two, of which time the Angels assess their abilities and provide specific instruction to meet a team need, they're promoted.

It is development. You could argue they've done the same with Skaggs as well. Quite a bit has changed in his delivery and approach since he left Arizona.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I guess in that way, that's true. Although the Grant Green case is probably more circuitous than normal given what happened with Callaspo.

That's not how I read what Scotty said though. Perhaps I misread it.

Yeah, well, when you consider that re-obtaining Callaspo also cost the team Will Smith it's not the most ringing of endorsements.   But technically, they are "byproducts" of the farm system.

Oh and would I trade Bedrock for Huston Street? All day, and yesterday. 

oh shit no. that's exactly the kind of management that has destroyed the angels development. bedrock has better stuff and years longer on his career. is street better than bedrock right now? yes, but not in 2 years.