• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Give Grant Green Starts at 3B

ABC

who here has seen green play 3b?

I haven't.  There are some accounts of him being fairly capable there and more so than at 2b.  In limited sample Green has been better offensively than howie this year, but he's you can't just assume he would be for the rest of the year.  

Freese is just bad.  Average to below defensively with absolutely zero power.  I think either green or lucho would provide at least similar production and probably better.  

Problem is, there is no chance that freese is coming out of the lineup if he's healthy. 

Which is one of the reasons why the bad luck argument can't be completely dismissed. His Babip is well below his career average, but his K rate is way way up.

IP, do you think we will see a huge drop in babip because every team is instituting so many shifts now?

Honestly, I would even go as far as to say I rather see John McDonald starting at 3rd than Freese, let alone Lucho(not that he can hit either) or even giving Green that chance.

Green's defense is likely to be pretty not good, but Freese's glove has been pretty rough too. And you could do the same John McDonald as a late inning defensive replacement thing we're doing now with Freese, just with the added benefit that Green might actually hit some baseballs before he gets pulled.

Edited by jshep

I would actually prefer that Iannetta rarely ever plays unless it is to give Conger a day off.  He is an awful catcher.

Maybe we could trade for AJ Pierzynski at the deadline

Gosh, I wonder if any of the professionals thought Green could play 3rd. No. As much s I'd like to see the bat in the lineup, I don't think it's happening.

It is. He's in the posted lineup today at third base.

Just talked to a scout yesterday who saw Cowart this year.

He was very down on him.

As for Green, his arm doesn't really play on left side of IF.

But then again, neither does Freese. He's got a pretty weak arm. 

Green has made some good throws from LF. I'd like to see what he can do at the hot corner.  From what I've seen of his D in ST and in the big leagues this season, I have no concerns. 

Just talked to a scout yesterday who saw Cowart this year.

He was very down on him.

As for Green, his arm doesn't really play on left side of IF.

A lot of his rates looked to be improving only to crater as the year went on...    Did the scout give any specific insights as to what he is seeing or not seeing?

IP, do you think we will see a huge drop in babip because every team is instituting so many shifts now?

Strad, I'm not kidding when I say I tend to leave the room when he comes to bat, so I wasn't aware they were shifting on him a lot.  Maybe more importantly, I don't know how teams used to defend him enough to offer any real insight, but it would make some sense if an increase in shifting has hurt him.  

Freese numbers were just always kind of peculiar... the high BaBip never made any sense because he's not a speed guy but it's really sort of hard to say he was just lucky for four or five years.   It may just be teams didn't see enough of him to fully figure him out.  The guy was always hurt or nursing some injury and didnt see more than 500 at bats until age 29.   Thats the only season he's had 500 at bats and he's only had 1750 or so at bats for his career.  To put that into perspective, Mike Trout is closing in on 1550 at bats.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Green played some 3B during ST and I thought he was OK........

When Freese came over I was very surprised at 1.) how slow he is on the base-paths and 2.) how weak defensively he is.

Inside Pitch's post above seems to have Freese down spot on -- and, YES, his success in St. Louis (San Diego) becomes somewhat of a mystery......he has some punch in his bat and can and has delivered some clutch dingers.........particularly that one in the World Series a few years back -- but his slowness and constant threat of GIDP rally killing ABs and then his defense at third makes his continued presence in the Halos starting line up a questionable call.......

not sure if Green is the answer - but, seriously, is he worse than Freese at 3B?  Green's bat has some pop.