• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Congratulation to Mike Morin

When I look at that pitch graph, no, I do not want him to close. This is not painting corners, AO. There are only 3 borderlines that were strike call pitches. He faced the bottom of the order of a poor Texas team and they got themselves out. Against Oakland that would have been bases jammed with runners all on walks with no outs.

You should be the manager, what with that kind of certainty about a hypothetical event.

Last nights game was not hypothetical. Look, I've seen Morin pitch in the AFL and he dominated a lot of batters with his offspeed pitches. These were the top prospects from all of the farm clubs and he showed MLB quality stuff. That doesn't mean I saw or the coaching staff sees MLB closer stuff at this point.

Being inconsistent around the strike zone, hitting batters and dumping pitches into the dirt, or forcing the catcher to rise out of his crouch to chase pitches a foot or more off the plate while only putting 3 pitches in the zone is not an indication the guy has it all together to pitch consistently in high leverage situations.

The Angels are in a tough spot when it comes to closing out games. Frieri is mentally toast, Smith can be inconsistent as well and there is no fresh from the minors Frankie Rodriguez electric slider pitcher on the roster. They have to sort through what they have to piece together a setup and closer role but you can't crown a guy king for one inning of relief for the hold/win.

You should be the manager, what with that kind of certainty about a hypothetical event.

It's possible that Morin came in last night knowing full well the ump's strike zone was silly-wide, so he lived a couple more inches off the corners than he normally would have, which would be the smart and safe approach.  

That is truly silly. You cannot rely on an inconsistent umpire to help you out and intentionally throw wild pitches, one that beans a batter and say that was a game plan.

It's pretty simple: Frieri is done, Jepsen is crap regardless of his decent stretches, Rasmus is crap, Salas is injured, Kohn is crap, Carpenter is crap, and Bedrosian is not ready. You are left with no lefty and Morin and Smith to cover the 8th/9th. I don't mind giving Morin a, shot because I've considered the alternatives. Also, even if he was aided by a forgiving strike zone and less then talented players, not EVERY appearance has had these factors. He's been effective in the innings he's pitch, he deserves a shot to carve out his own niche in thus BP.

No, I can't find anything better than facts. When an umpire gives you a strike call 10" below the knees, you are pitching on luck alone.

It all comes around, on Friday night the umpire was squeezing Richards and had a lot of strikes that were called balls.  Great thing about baseball and having different umpires every night.