• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pearl Harbor/ USS Arizona Memorial

Going to Oahu in a few weeks, and this is my only must see while I am there.

Has anyone ever been? I heard it is free to go to the Arizona memorial, but the security is very strict.

I found some tours, but don't know if it is worth it to see the other stuff.

A trip over the Pali to the North Shore is well worth a day. Stop at the Pali for the amazing view, the Crouching Lion for lunch and cocktails, Turtle Bay resort for a snorkle in the bay, or Hanalai Falls for a short hike up to the falls. The small surfing towns father up if the surf is up, cool to watch that...then continuing on the road will take you through pineapple fields and finally into Schoffield Barracks, (more Pearl Harbor history there) and then you drop back into Honolulu. 

Original Pancake House...Ala Moana.

Don't leave Oahu without having Macadamia/banana pancakes somewhere. Trust me.

A great spot to hit on your way back to the airport for the flight home, you wont need any airplane food after eating there.

I worked for the Airline industry in another life, back when flying standby was easy and we had Airline discounts in nearly every hotel in Waikiki. We had an "airline employee only"  bar at one of the Outriggers, and we could get rooms there, and at other hotels for $10 or $20 a night. I used to fly there for weekends when I lived in Alaska.

Lots to do and see on Oahu. Used to make a point of going during Pro Bowl week to party with NFL players and coaches who would take over some of the bars and let loose. Fun times.

Edited by Homebrewer

I remember walking around a whole bunch, seeing some documentary films, and perusing the museum before going to see the Arizona.

It all gets you in the mood, but to be honest the memorial is pretty overwhelming.

It's like seeing the Vietnam memorial for the first time, if that puts it into perspective.

you can take a harbor cruise around pearl harbor, as well as making a visit to the arizona memorial. all of the arizona stuff is sobering.

my wife doesn't care much about history, but she really liked the harbor cruise. the colors of the water getting to pearl are incredible shades of blue and you don't want to miss even that.

there's also a submarine there that's worth checking out. it's small but well worth taking a walk through. i think there's also a battleship in harbor as well.

It's pretty overwhelming. Bring tissues.

My folks took me and my sister to Hawaii as a High School graduation gift.  We went to the Arizona memorial, and it's part of the trip trip that I really remember.. But, I didn't have the maturity of knowledge to really understand it.  I will be back to re-visit it.

Bless our veterans and those still entombed, especially. 

you can take a harbor cruise around pearl harbor, as well as making a visit to the arizona memorial. all of the arizona stuff is sobering.

my wife doesn't care much about history, but she really liked the harbor cruise. the colors of the water getting to pearl are incredible shades of blue and you don't want to miss even that.

there's also a submarine there that's worth checking out. it's small but well worth taking a walk through. i think there's also a battleship in harbor as well.

Yeah, it's the Missouri, the battleship the official surrender of Japan took place on. It's bow faces the Arizona memorial.

Before my wife went back to college to get her degree I sent her to Hawaii for a week vacation of her own, no kids, no husband making her crawl through the holds of a rusty sub. She had no agenda and did what she pleased that week. She loves history so she naturally gravitated to the Arizona Memorial even though she is not a WWII enthusiast.

Since she was a single they found room for her on one of the shuttles and was overwhelmed by the exhibit. It wasn't until she was out there that she noticed everyone else on that shuttle were really much older and they all seemed to be wearing hats decorated with war time insignias. These were all survivors of December 7th, returning en mass to pay respects on December 7th. She forgot all about what day it was and witnessed a little more tearful and emotional excursion than most witness on the rest of the year.

By now most of the men on that tour are probably lying in rest, it was so long ago even the youngest would be in their mid to late eighties right now.