• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How do you feel about the Angels chances in a one game playoff?

That seems to be our ceiling at this point.  Unless all 5 Oakland starters have Tommy John surgery tomorrow, and then the next 5 starters in their farm system get season ending injuries, we are pretty much going for a wild card spot.  

I would feel pretty confident with Weaver or Richards on the mound but I guess it all depends on who were facing and where.  I dont have much confidence offensively.  We would have to win a 3-2 game or something low scoring.  

It is impossible to say right now with less than a half of the season played. By October we may see Richards finally be a consistent, reliable number one who we could throw out there with confidence. Right now, Weaver is still the guy...but I don't have the confidence I used to have with him on the hill. My hope is that Richards finds it in the second half and becomes the obvious choice to start a potential wildcard match-up. This means keeping his walks and hits down (obviously) and keeping his pitch count low. We would need to limit using the pen in such a game. If the opponent can keep the score close and get our starter to throw a lot of pitches, they will hold an unquestionable advantage.

I can hardly wait to have Scioscia fill out the lineup card.  I wonder who will DH if there is a righty on the mound? Hmmmmm  I wonder who will be coming in to "save" the win? Hmmmmmm

With the current bullpen, and Ibanez still on the team, I do not think the chances are good.

That seems to be our ceiling at this point.  Unless all 5 Oakland starters have Tommy John surgery tomorrow, and then the next 5 starters in their farm system get season ending injuries, we are pretty much going for a wild card spot.  

I would feel pretty confident with Weaver or Richards on the mound but I guess it all depends on who were facing and where.  I dont have much confidence offensively.  We would have to win a 3-2 game or something low scoring.  

Do you realize that we're 2nd in the AL in avg runs/game?

By nature, one game playoffs are a crapshoot.  But in all honesty, I don't feel good about it because Scioscia's our manager.  You know if given the opportunity he'll start Weaver over Richards.  You know he'll keep Weav in two batters too long, you know he'll turn to Jepsen with the game on the line in the middle innings, you know he'll put Frieri in for the 9th and you know he'll bat Ibanez 6th at DH.

Anything can happen in one game

That's the thing and why I don't like the new format...one team may have to spend its pitching to just get to the playoff while the other may have a few days to set things up....but then it's like playing the Astros or Padres....one game, one hot pitcher, who knows....not a good way to determine who is in the postseason in my opinion...

That's the thing and why I don't like the new format...one team may have to spend its pitching to just get to the playoff while the other may have a few days to set things up....but then it's like playing the Astros or Padres....one game, one hot pitcher, who knows....not a good way to determine who is in the postseason in my opinion...

The 162 games before it are the best way to get into the playoffs.

If you are in hot, game by game, competition to get into the playoffs for a week or two before the season ends, you have already been in the playoffs for a week or two. Unless you have a veteran team with experienced pitching who waits until September to get hot, that kind of late season pressure takes a toll.