• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Home Appliances with WIFI

mp170.6

How do you guys feel about home appliances connected to the internet?

We just got a new A/C unit and they installed a wi-fi capable thermostat.  You can control the heat or A/C via website or smart phone app.  I asked an IT buddy what he thought about the security of these things and he's not so sure.  At his work, they had several air conditioning compressors burn up by running continuously over a holiday weekend and the network logs pointed to a hack job from China.

What's your take on this? 

it would be fun to turn the heat up to 86 in the summer while I am at work just to play a prank on my wife.

Other than that, is it really that hard to get up and walk 10 feet or set a program on your thermostat?  It honestly seems like it is something I would use the first day it is installed and then I would never use it again.   

I have it and love it.  For example if we are gone for the day and it is warm, we will turn the temp up when we leave, use the app to cool the place down a half hour before we are going to be home.

As far as hackers... I dunno.  I am not really worried about it.

I have my place pretty tech'd out - and I'm a network/cloud security guy.

Lights, HVAC, shutters, audio. It's awesome.

Just make sure to buy good quality stuff (ie places that have a legit R&D and QA budget for static and dynamic security analysis of their software) and be smart about device security and passwords and you'll be fine.

The fridges with twitter are kind of stupid though.

As is this idiotic "connected cup" for those that forget what they put into their cup.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/thinkfluencers-say-200-smart-cup-is-indistinguishable-1590465009