• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Uh oh...Iraq

@AP: BREAKING: President Barack Obama says up to 275 US military troops will deploy to Iraq

Alright, who's ready for Round 2?

as seinfeld once said to kramer, "oh yeah, what could possibly go wrong with this?"

Before we invaded Iraq they were an established country with no WMD's we didn't give them. Now they are at Civil war and certain to have WMD's we don't know about.

The right decision is to let them duke it out and keep an eye on the outcome, but that doesn't mean we aren't dicks for making this happen. 70%+ of the country got behind this !@#$ and re-elected the guys who made it happen. The blood is on our hands.

Good logic but it's Obama who causes everything. 

Does anyone remember the "Half Measures" speech from Mike on Breaking Bad? That how I feel about US involvement in the Middle East. We need to stay out of everyone's business there or we need to conquer it. Anything in between is bound to fail.

This is what you want, right?

Nope, unless it's a limited operation to secure the airport and get our people the hell out of there ASAP.

After that, air strikes and logistical support NOT involving troops.

I don't know, it's an absolute mess. The abject failure of the Iraqi army is very disappointing, but not all that surprising, given the level of corruption and chaos over there.

Nope, unless it's a limited operation to secure the airport and get our people the hell out of there ASAP.

After that, air strikes and logistical support NOT involving troops.

I don't know, it's an absolute mess. The abject failure of the Iraqi army is very disappointing, but not all that surprising, given the level of corruption and chaos over there.

I just don't see any reason to be involved at all beyond getting Americans out of the country ASAP. We installed a corrupt Shia government that has alienated a very large portion of its population and is now suffering the backlash. We can bomb Sunni militants (in this case ISIS) all we want, but it does nothing to solve a problem, it only delays the inevitable.

We need to let these people start solving their own problems. It'll be a bloody, long, and complicated process, but western nations have been ****ing around with the borders and rulers in the Middle East for about a century now, and it obviously hasn't worked out. Who knows, maybe it's better for the Iraqi people if they end up divided into three separate nations, or maybe it's better if Iran annexes the Shia portion of Iraq. But I'm pretty certain it's not good if we forcibly prop up a failed government in a failed state just because we don't like admitting we ****ed up the dismount. Whatever happens, if we just leave them alone they'll eventually come to a better conclusion than any one we force on them.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

I just don't see any reason to be involved at all beyond getting Americans out of the country ASAP. We installed a corrupt Shia government that has alienated a very large portion of its population and is now suffering the backlash. We can bomb Sunni militants (in this case ISIS) all we want, but it does nothing to solve a problem, it only delays the inevitable.

We need to let these people start solving their own problems. It'll be a bloody, long, and complicated process, but western nations have been ****ing around with the borders and rulers in the Middle East for about a century now, and it obviously hasn't worked out. Who knows, maybe it's better for the Iraqi people if they end up divided into three separate nations, or maybe it's better if Iran annexes the Shia portion of Iraq. But I'm pretty certain it's not good if we forcibly prop up a failed government in a failed state just because we don't like admitting we ****ed up the dismount. Whatever happens, if we just leave them alone they'll eventually come to a better conclusion than any one we force on them.

While I agree with your sentiment, I have to take issue with your last sentence.  I don't believe they'll come to a better conclusion.  I believe the Shias will eventually slaughter the Sunnis with support from Iran, with Saudi Arabia then supporting Sunni insurgents to slaughter the Shias.  I do agree that the whole place is a ****ing mess.  This isn't political, it's tribal, and apparently you can't solve tribal

While I agree with your sentiment, I have to take issue with your last sentence.  I don't believe they'll come to a better conclusion.  I believe the Shias will eventually slaughter the Sunnis with support from Iran, with Saudi Arabia then supporting Sunni insurgents to slaughter the Shias.  I do agree that the whole place is a ****ing mess.  This isn't political, it's tribal, and apparently you can't solve tribal

That very well might be how it all plays out.

To explain the last sentence in my other post, I was mainly trying to highlight the western view of politics, which is really more nation focused than culture focused. Western nations have caused a lot of problems in the last century by telling people of different cultures, religions, and languages, "So, you guys are a country now. Here are your borders. Everyone get along and maintain an effective, fair government. K, thx, bye!"

If all we do is airstrikes, without a police force in the country or an army to oppose ISIS, we're going to stay in that country doing airstrikes until the world looks like the future in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure.

Airstrikes aren't the answer either. Zero military support is the answer. Let the chips fall where they may.

I agree that the U.S. should do nothing more than insuring that all of their citizens get out of Iraq safely.  However, just because the U.S. gets out of the way doesn't mean that Iraq will be left to its own devices.  Iran and the Saudis will be doing the meddling then.