• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ian Stewart and Ibanez

I'm not expecting him to make every right move.  I'm not calling for him to be fired.  I think he's done ok.  Just ok though.  However, I'm going to call him out on roster moves because that is his job description.  I will continue to call out Sosh for his infatuation with aging vets but I'm going to keep questioning a gm who keeps giving him playthings.

It shouldn't be his job though.  If there is a valuable vet left handed bat that is perfectly suitable for a bench role, the manager should be able to figure that out.  He shouldn't have to release something of value just to prevent the manager from sabotaging the team.

It shouldn't be his job though.  If there is a valuable vet left handed bat that is perfectly suitable for a bench role, the manager should be able to figure that out.  He shouldn't have to release something of value just to prevent the manager from sabotaging the team.

That sounds like Efren Navarro. Who Dipoto sent back to Salt Lake.

I have a hard time considering Ibanez valuable in any role.

Edited by jshep

That sounds like Efren Navarro. Who Dipoto sent back to Salt Lake.

I have a hard time considering Ibanez valuable in any role.

They are pretty much the same except Navarro has options and can benefit from playing every day in case there are injuries that require him to play daily on the MLB team.

Do you mean when Sosh pulled Juan Rivera out of the outfield and put in Peter Bourjos? Or how about when Sosh played marginal prospect Mark Trumbo? Or when Sosh played Waldan as a rookie closer. Or how about when Sosh put in a young Frankie Rodriguez to be a set up man in 2002.

Yes there are examples of Sosh staying with vets too long. However there are a lol of examples of him going with the young guys. So please get off the "Sosh loves vets and hates prospects rhetoric. The facts don't suppprt it.

quote name="nate" post="356902" timestamp="1402334772"]

History should tell us some shouldn't it? Dipoto has historically been enthralled by young talent and Scioscia has historically been hung up on washed up old guys.

Edited by stormngt

Do you mean when Sosh pulled Juan Rivera out of the outfield and put in Peter Bourjos? Or how about when Sosh played marginal prospect Mark Trumbo? Or when Sosh played Mark Trumbo as a rookie closer. Or how about when Sosh put in a young Frankie Rodriguez to be a set up man in 2002.

Yes there are examples of Sosh staying with vets too long. However there are a lol of examples of him going with the young guys. So please get off the "Sosh loves vets and hates prospects rhetoric. The facts don't suppprt it.

quote name="nate" post="356902" timestamp="1402334772"]

History should tell us some shouldn't it? Dipoto has historically been enthralled by young talent and Scioscia has historically been hung up on washed up old guys.

I have to admit, making Trumbo the closer WAS pretty bold.

so again you give Dipoto a pass.

Where did you get that from?  It was a low risk signing.  He is a fail sure, but he shouldn't just be DFA'd for that.  The manager should be able to figure out that he isn't a daily DH.

Where did you get that from?  It was a low risk signing.  He is a fail sure, but he shouldn't just be DFA'd for that.  The manager should be able to figure out that he isn't a daily DH.

You are ok with Green being sent down in favor of Ibanez?  I'm not and of course Ibanez should be DFA'd, by any measure he is terrrible now. 

Still, it would be nice to have Pena and Hellweg in the system.  Hell even Segura for that matter since we lack a real good backup SS.

Why? Hellweg got rocked in his short stint in the majors and Pena is meh in AAA. Segura offers nothing with the bat, defensive stats like him though. Take out his fluke first couple months of last year and he's basically a slightly worse John McDonald.

We had Grienke for two months. Segura was an all star for three months. That alone gives the victory to Brewers.

By the way, upon re-visiting the Greinke trade, Dipoto seems to have clearly won that one. Segura, Pena, and Hellweg are all sucking. Someone will say he could have gotten more, but I think it was as good of a time to go for the rental than any other.

Why? Hellweg got rocked in his short stint in the majors and Pena is meh in AAA. Segura offers nothing with the bat, defensive stats like him though. Take out his fluke first couple months of last year and he's basically a slightly worse John McDonald.

Yeah...I get what you're getting at, but "slightly worse John McDonald" is way offf the mark.

Have you seen our farm system lately?  They are still young, you give them time to continue to develop.

You are ok with Green being sent down in favor of Ibanez?  I'm not and of course Ibanez should be DFA'd, by any measure he is terrrible now. 

Hey now, the way I see it Raul only has a few holes in his game:

- Awful, awful defender at any position you could possibly want him to play for some reason

- Slow as shit

- Can't hit for average

- Can't get on base

- Doesn't have any power left

But other than that he's great.