• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has Scioscia even mentioned Ibanez

NrM

He gave a bunch of reasons why he thought he was coming around, from watching his swing etc.

What are we supposed to do?

"Your opinion is wrong!"

We report what Scioscia says. We report was Ibañez said. We report what the numbers say.

Now if you're saying a columnist should come out and write "Ibañez stinks and the Angels should release him" then ok. They are free to write that. It's not for the beat writers.

I understand that perspective. And I get that you can only ask questions and report a response. I've never been a professional reporter or beat writer, so I'm sure I don't have a full understanding of the relationship management involved. As a fan though, it's just frustrating to hear a manager say something that quantifiable data doesn't support.

He gave a bunch of reasons why he thought he was coming around, from watching his swing etc.

What are we supposed to do?

"Your opinion is wrong!"

We report what Scioscia says. We report was Ibañez said. We report what the numbers say.

Now if you're saying a columnist should come out and write "Ibañez stinks and the Angels should release him" then ok. They are free to write that. It's not for the beat writers.

That's a good point, and one that I think gets lost on most of us.  You have a job to do and that job relies on a certain amount of goodwill from the manager and the team.  As a beat writer you're not really free to get beyond most of the basic questions.

My job is not to have an opinion. My job, in a nutshell, is to get information.

In this case, your question is "why is Ibañez still playing?" So we ask Scioscia and Dipoto the question. They give their answer and we report it. If you don't like the answer, take it up with them, not us.

A columnist's job is different. He has the freedom to write "the angels are wrong and Ibañez shouldn't play."

If you want to see that written, take it up with Jeff Miller or TJ Simers or Bill Plaschke.

Or, you could just have your own opinion without worrying if anyone in the media expresses it for you.

Today is Raul's birthday. I'm sure EVERYBODY in AW wants to wish him the very best for his contributions to the team. A .200 average would look really good right now, Ibañez.

He's batting .104 in the cleanup spot this year.

one...oh...four.

And that's almost exclusively against right-handers!

Edited by fan_since79

He's batting .104 in the cleanup spot this year.

one...oh...four.

And that's almost exclusively against right-handers!

While Mathis was here we essentially conceded an entire spot in the batting order, so this isn't any different (at least Mathis wasn't batting cleanup). I only hope that this goes away once Hamilton returns. Even if it does, I still see Scioscia going to Ibanez in key situations with the game on the line. Dipoto will have to release him to stop it.

While Mathis was here we essentially conceded an entire spot in the batting order, so this isn't any different (at least Mathis wasn't batting cleanup). I only hope that this goes away once Hamilton returns. Even if it does, I still see Scioscia going to Ibanez in key situations with the game on the line. Dipoto will have to release him to stop it.

Even Mathis's average managed to hover in the .190's. The fact that Ibanez is batting around 50 points lower really puts into perspective how historically awful he has been. The Ibanez situation reminds me a lot of Magglio Ordonez's final season in Detroit, when he also inexplicably continued to hit in the middle of the order despite hitting .200 at the end of June. Ordonez played out the rest of the season and did finish with a .255 average, but his power numbers were woeful. I really hope we don't see the same thing with Ibanez.  

Even Mathis's average managed to hover in the .190's. The fact that Ibanez is batting around 50 points lower really puts into perspective how historically awful he has been. The Ibanez situation reminds me a lot of Magglio Ordonez's final season in Detroit, when he also inexplicably continued to hit in the middle of the order despite hitting .200 at the end of June. Ordonez played out the rest of the season and did finish with a .255 average, but his power numbers were woeful. I really hope we don't see the same thing with Ibanez.

I dont think we have to worry about ibanez hitting .255. So we can scratch off that concern

Unless Mathis was DHing his job was never to provide offense and only offense as can be said of Ibanez.

It amuses me that peeps actually get worked up about the things Sosh says or doesn't say.  After all these years one would think they would know better.

Actually, I get more worked up about what he does. A good example is trotting out a 42-year old cleanup hitter who's hitting .104 in that spot in the lineup, and that's with the 'favorable' matchup against right-handed pitching.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

Actually, I get more worked up about what he does. A good example is trotting out a 42-year old cleanup hitter who's hitting .104 in that spot in the lineup, and that's with the 'favorable' matchup against right-handed pitching.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

and yet we have another thread all about the things sosh does or does not say.  I'm all for bagging on Mike for trotting out the horse ready for the glue factory but his quotes or lack thereof?  Not so much.

and yet we have another thread all about the things sosh does or does not say.  I'm all for bagging on Mike for trotting out the horse ready for the glue factory but his quotes or lack thereof?  Not so much.

Obviously the actions speak more than his words, but the quotes are bothersome because it shows that he really can't understand the connection he should be making between statistical evidence and action. It's like walking barefoot through a pit of rattlesnakes, then swearing that it's a good idea.