• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Honest question about scouting reports

Do they burden Howie?

Howie hits the same each game.  Take a fastball in, ball 1.  Swing and miss at a slider low and off the plate, strike 1.  Swing and foul off a fastball in, strike two.  Swing at a slider outside and off the plate rolling it over on the ground into a double play. 

Howie hits the same each game.  Take a fastball in, ball 1.  Swing and miss at a slider low and off the plate, strike 1.  Swing and foul off a fastball in, strike two.  Swing at a slider outside and off the plate rolling it over on the ground into a double play. 

I saw Howie take a low and outside slider today and flipped it out to right field for a single instead of trying to pull it which usually results in a grounder to short or a strikeout. My jaw literally dropped.

I saw Howie take a low and outside slider today and flipped it out to right field for a single instead of trying to pull it which usually results in a grounder to short or a strikeout. My jaw literally dropped.

I missed that one.  I was too busy throwing up watching gloating A's fans.

3rd in runs scored and 4th in OPS in the AL.

not too shabby

That's more or less what I was getting at.  How can you score so many runs and have good OPS, but let Oakland's pitchers totally destroy you? 

I'm not discounting the fact Oakland has good players, but the Angels face them 18 or 19 times every year, and SHOULD BE familiar with them.  The talent is definitely there, but I don't think they come to the plate prepared.

They go over the tendencies of all the opposing pitchers/hitters.

The pre-series meetings are probably 20-25 minutes apiece. The daily hitters meetings are maybe 10-15.

That's all?  10-15 minutes?

How can they cover the opposing starter and three or four likely relievers in that short of time?

In this series it seemed like it was the pitchers that were unprepared... or just unable to execute.

Pretty pathetic showing by the pitching in Oakland.  Especially Weaver, Smith, Richards and Josh never heard of him Grube.  Hope that guy doesn't get another chance with the Angels.

Edited by nate

That's all? 10-15 minutes?

How can they cover the opposing starter and three or four likely relievers in that short of time?

How long should it take? I think that's plenty of time, unless you just love meetings.

How long should it take? I think that's plenty of time, unless you just love meetings.

I don't know.  They went 8-11 against Oakland last year and are 1-5 this year.  Until that trend improves, 10-15 minute meetings may not be enough.