• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Latest From AngelsWin.com: Alberto Callaspo Player Profile & Projections

Callaspo.gif
(Photo by Jeremy Long - jlongphoto.com)

By Robert Cunngingham - AngelsWin.com Staff Writer

2013 Outlook: Alberto was re-signed to a two-year, $9 million contract this offseason and it seems like this was money well spent by the Angels organization. It also allows the Angels to bridge the gap to their third base prospects Kaleb Cowart and Luis Jimenez, who are still spending time in the Minors developing their skill sets. If one of those prospects blossoms early, the Angels, with that team-friendly contract, have a trade chip that can be used to acquire a useful MLB player or above-average prospect(s).

Callaspo's value is in his glove and ability to make contact and see pitches. Defensively he doesn't have exceptional range, but he has enough to man the hot corner and he has excellent hand and eye coordination which allows him to snag some of those line drives and hard hit ground balls. That coordination is also his one redeeming quality at the plate as he, like Aybar, has a very high contact rate and is able to put the ball in play. Although some of those hit balls turn into outs, enough of them go for singles or doubles to make Alberto's value at the plate meaningful. Callaspo will generally hit in the mid to lower part of the batting order, probably hitting behind Howie Kendrick and in front of Iannetta/Bourjos. Callaspo has enough power to reach double-digits, but don't expect more than 10-12 home runs.

Callaspo has been quietly efficient and will probably remain so considering the other mega-stars around him, but his ability to switch-hit, put the ball in play, and provide above-average defense has value for the Halos.

CallaspoStat.pngmMGiT5BAuxs

View the full article

Way too optimistic. This guy is not what everyone seems to think he is. He is more likely to hit .250 than .280, his OBP probably sticks around .330,   which is also where his slugging could be.

He looked lost at the plate in ST until about March 15th, then turned it on to have respectable numbers.

I really don't see the confidence in him as a full-time guy. Starting against lefties sure, but he was so bad against righties as a lefty last year, I hope he can bring those numbers way up. Otherwise maybe it's better he just hits right handed.

Way too optimistic. This guy is not what everyone seems to think he is. He is more likely to hit .250 than .280, his OBP probably sticks around .330,   which is also where his slugging could be.

He looked lost at the plate in ST until about March 15th, then turned it on to have respectable numbers.

I really don't see the confidence in him as a full-time guy. Starting against lefties sure, but he was so bad against righties as a lefty last year, I hope he can bring those numbers way up. Otherwise maybe it's better he just hits right handed.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Why wouldn't he revert back closer to his career numbers rather than turn in even worse numbers than 2012? His career average is .275 and his slugging percentage has never been less than .361. Is he really at such a sharp decline at his age?

I think these projections may be a tad optimistic but I think they are reasonable enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he out performed these numbers. 

Too small of sample size Hubs. You can't take a half a season, hell even a full season, then throw away all the rest of the career totals, unless that said player is in the twilight of their career. I think Callaspo will be just fine and even do a little better than Robert's conservative projections.