• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cron or Green for full-time DH

I'm not sure what they are waiting for...is it for Hamilton to return before they make this decision? That's my only guess

Green's batting .388 in 49 AB's

Cron's batting .300 in 60 AB's, and his 3 HR's have already matched Turtle man's season total. He's also just 11 RBI's and 6 runs shy of matching Ibanez' season totals there.

Ibanez is batting .154/.276/.276 with a .552 OPS in 123 AB's and is getting these AB's in the cleanup spot or 5th in the order.

I know the guy is well respected and is a good clubhouse presence, but unless they can convince him to retire midseason and take on a role where he can remain with the team or something, they need to pull the plug on this one. It's time, they've got better and younger options who have earned the playing time and the AB's

Cron seems to be made to become a full time DH.  Hopefully he does it on the Angels, and not cast off like the Twins cast off their future DH to Boston.  But with the philosophy of the Angels, I fear in 6 years, if not sooner, he is gone.

Cron seems to be made to become a full time DH.  Hopefully he does it on the Angels, and not cast off like the Twins cast off their future DH to Boston.  But with the philosophy of the Angels, I fear in 6 years, if not sooner, he is gone.

And what philosophy would that be? 

It's a shame neither of them hit left handed which might be why Ibanez gets another few weeks to try and work his way out of things.

They're both hitting an identical .286 this year against right-handed pitching, while Ibanez is batting .182 against righties.

I hate this mandatory righty-lefty matchup 'philosophy' of Scioscia. It doesn't even work yet he keeps doing it.

It's a shame neither of them hit left handed which might be why Ibanez gets another few weeks to try and work his way out of things.

Yeah, but I think when Hamilton comes back, already having Calhoun and him as lefties, we should be able to keep Green and Cron. 

To me, we're a better team with those two on our club. Ibanez hits right into the shift every time or strikes out. 

Watching Cron I really like his swing. It seems to be shorter/quicker than that of Trumbo so he will probably strike out less. If he can improve his discipline even a little he may be a better hitter than Trumbo is/was. That said I see them as very similar players with Trumbo being slightly more powerful but Cron with a slightly better AVG. Both guys are useless defensively but will provide plus power. Anyway, I have no problem if the Angels can use him for a few years while Albert can still play 1B then move him to AZ or Philly in exchange for some good young players like we did with Trumbo. Pujols will be DHing in the near future and I'm not sure Cron is the 1B of the future.

Edited by eaterfan

My only gripe with Cron is that he expands his strike zone and seems to press when there's a sac fly opportunity. Obviously he's young and that plays a big part, I fully expect him to eventually calm down in these situations and trust himself more. I couldn't stand Trumbo so Cron is a breath of fresh air to me. Really excited about what Cron can bring to this team.

I like Green and hope that he can eventually take Kendrick's spot.

To play Raul over them at this point is just stupid. Raul seems to be better coming off the bench as a PH.

Edited by CanadianHalo

I love me some Grant Green. He has way more value with his ability to play multiple positions and will hot for higher average. We have enough power for now. I like what Green's bat brings to this team more so right now. Ideally, I'd want both in the lineup.

Edited by Cory

There's easily enough ABs for Green and Cron if we get Ibanez off the roster. There's all the DH ABs for one, except for when Pujols needs a spell there and that's when Cron will play 1B. Green should start some games over Calhoun in left and spell Howie at 2B, as well as hopefully developing to get some starts at 3B. But even if he doesn't, there's always a way to get them into the lineup if they keep hitting as well as they are.