• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What does the rotation look like down the stretch?

Assuming that we remain competitive and are in the thick of the playoff race or potentially qualify for the playoffs, who will be in the rotation?  Three of our starters are youngsters that might be shut down early due to innings limitations (Richards less likely, but Skaggs and Carpenter moreso).  Will we need to trade for a solid vet at some point?  Any likely candidates?

Assuming that we remain competitive and are in the thick of the playoff race or potentially qualify for the playoffs, who will be in the rotation?  Three of our starters are youngsters that might be shut down early due to innings limitations (Richards less likely, but Skaggs and Carpenter moreso).  Will we need to trade for a solid vet at some point?  Any likely candidates?

By Carpenter do you mean Shoemaker?  Shoemaker has lead the PCL in IP each of the last two years and has topped 175 in each of the last three seasons..   As a 27 year old, I don't think he's someone that can't hack an extra 20 or so innings this year.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just a guess, but I think the rotation shakes out just as you're seeing, R-L-R-L-R with Weav, Wilson, Richards, Skaggs and Shoemaker.  I think that LeBlanc is better now than he has been in a couple of years, but let's be real, LeBlanc was never THAT good to begin with.  His best year was 2010, and even then it was padded by the 2.71 ERA he sported at Petco.  Away from San Diego he had an ERA of 7!  As for Santiago, I think he's a fine starting option, but I get the feeling that Burnett's just not going to be as effective as he needs to be against LHB or he'll get hurt and Santiago will be forced into the loogy role. 

Down the stretch, I think the Angels keep their rotation as is and deploy a bullpen of Frieri, Smith, Salas, Kohn, Bedrosian, Morin and Santiago.

I'd be stunned if Shoemaker sticks in the rotation until the trade deadline. He's had a couple of decent starts up here, but the reality is he isn't very good. He's a swingman at best and even that is being pretty generous.

I imagine we'll see Santiago back in the rotation within six weeks.

I'd be stunned if Shoemaker sticks in the rotation until the trade deadline. He's had a couple of decent starts up here, but the reality is he isn't very good. He's a swingman at best and even that is being pretty generous.

How exactly have you determined this?  His minor league numbers are good everywhere except the PCL which is pitcher hell, and in the majors so far he's sporting a 1.084 WHIP, nearly 3:1 K:BB, and a .204/.265/.301 slash against in 27.2 IP.  His stuff isn't amazing, and his numbers will certainly slip from what they've been so far, but I don't see any indication he can't develop into a solid 4 or 5.

Edited by markb

Weaver - Wilson will be good. We know what we get from them

Richards - Skaggs - TBD ...will look fatigued. Command and location will be off and the team will suffer due to the amount of innings they will be pitching for the first time at the major league level

Just a guess, but I think the rotation shakes out just as you're seeing, R-L-R-L-R with Weav, Wilson, Richards, Skaggs and Shoemaker.  I think that LeBlanc is better now than he has been in a couple of years, but let's be real, LeBlanc was never THAT good to begin with.  His best year was 2010, and even then it was padded by the 2.71 ERA he sported at Petco.  Away from San Diego he had an ERA of 7!  As for Santiago, I think he's a fine starting option, but I get the feeling that Burnett's just not going to be as effective as he needs to be against LHB or he'll get hurt and Santiago will be forced into the loogy role. 

Down the stretch, I think the Angels keep their rotation as is and deploy a bullpen of Frieri, Smith, Salas, Kohn, Bedrosian, Morin and Santiago.

Petco doesn't suppress 4 runs per game to a pitchers ERA so the road splits are being a head case not a pitching defect.

This is a legitimate question. How many innings is Skaggs going to be allowed to pitch? Anyone actually know?

Between the majors and minors the last two seasons he pitched 150 innings. I think he will be tired but can put up 175-190 innings.

How exactly have you determined this?  His minor league numbers are good everywhere except the PCL which is pitcher hell, and in the majors so far he's sporting a 1.084 WHIP, nearly 3:1 K:BB, and a .204/.265/.301 slash against in 27.2 IP.  His stuff isn't amazing, and his numbers will certainly slip from what they've been so far, but I don't see any indication he can't develop into a solid 4 or 5.

Just so we're clear, you're calling a career 4.52 ERA in the minors good?

And he has made four major league starts, so posting numbers like they prove anything is hilarious. All I'm saying is people need to seriously temper their expectations, because we've seen similar strong early numbers from both pitchers and hitters before (Matt Palmer, Jerome Williams and Kevin Frandsen all come to mind) before they revert to form. Maybe just wait a little bit before penciling him into the rotation for the next few years.

I imagine we'll see Santiago back in the rotation within six weeks.

Nope. You obviously haven't seen Shoemaker pitch or don't have a clue... or both!

Not great, IMO.  

It will be interesting to see what you give up for more pitching before the trade deadline.  If your front office doesn't get it done, they're criminal. 

Since our starters have the 2nd best era in the AL, why would you say this?

Nope. You obviously haven't seen Shoemaker pitch or don't have a clue... or both!

Cool, this is one to bookmark for later on. Sure I could go back and find you saying very similar things about the Palmer/Williams types