• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking Angels record with a grain of salt?

Hey everyone I am new to this site, and I realize their record is 28-22. I remember hearing that our record against the AL West is actually below .500. Now, with everyone else in the AL West having played more games within the division than us, do you think that is why we have a better record than SEA and TEX? And not really having that tough of a schedule yet? This is just my opinion.

It is remarkable how differently people see things.  

The Angels record is legit. Look at runs scored vs runs allowed.  Looked at the underlying statistics that influence runs scored vs runs allowed.  Look at opponents.  Their record should actually be better... and their competition hasn't been weak.  

This is a very good team.  Accept it.

Hey everyone I am new to this site, and I realize their record is 28-22. I remember hearing that our record against the AL West is actually below .500. Now, with everyone else in the AL West having played more games within the division than us, do you think that is why we have a better record than SEA and TEX? And not really having that tough of a schedule yet? This is just my opinion.

The Angels are doing a bit better than I thought. Their bench players are doing a great job.

Other than the obvious problems..they still need more steals. Howie Kendrick should not lead a team in that. 

I'm an optimist, and I think everyone is sort of riding a high right now with the team.  It's awesome to be right in the thick of things and I think the Angels will stay there.  But keeping in mind that this team leads the league in come from behind wins also means that this team is losing a lot more often than a contender should.  There's also the putrid performance w/RSIP that has carried over from the past 3 years.  Playoff teams get timely hits and the Angels so far this season, for all their runs are not getting enough of the timely hits. 

Things will even out eventually.  The Angels will likely lose a few more games in the future that they've managed to win over the last couple of weeks and at the same time, they'll manage to scrape a few key hits together where they haven't so far this season and maybe win a couple more ball games. 

90 wins is what you aim for.  It might not get you a division title but it should get you a shot.

An 8-11 record is hardly THAT bad. Every team has bad records against certain teams by random chance and the only serious factor in our AL West struggles so far is being 0-4 against the mediocre Mariners. Using that to say we're not as good as we seem is a serious stretch, given it's not like this division is that great this year. Obviously the A's are very good but Texas has little hope with all their problems and the Mariners still can't hit. So there's no reason to think this start is an illusion, I think it's anything but. If we keep playing like this and get Hamilton back soon, our record will get better - not worse. We've done exactly what we needed to do with key players out and/or slumping, now it's time to take advantage.

There's really only one team in the league that is so bad that that they can be considered anything less than a "major league team" and that the Astros. So all the AL West teams are going to show poorly in "strength of schedule" simply because they play the Astros so much.

That being said, the Astros are showing some signs of improvement too.

As for the division record, I wouldn't put any stock into it now. There are still so few games that have been played.

I hate moral victories as much as the next guy but we have played the A's tough and we have handled the Astros this year. This year it's just been the Mariners. We will see how the next three go.

Didn't Texas take two out of three at the big A, as well?

It's a legitimate concern, if this team wants to take the next step, we have to beat division rivals and beat good teams. They have yet to show that

Yes the Rangers did but it's two out of three, I'm assuming this would be a great example of sample size. I'd be more willing to decide who the better team is by looking at the entire season to date. Head to head this early in a season is more an indication of how the teams were playing or who was pitching or who was healthy during that series. I'm not concerned yet. Should the A's be worried that Toronto is a better team than they are?

Ok, so if the Angels finish with 90+ wins and a losing record in division and the A's finish with 89 wins and a winning record in division does it really matter?

Yup. but the A's would be going fishing during the playoffs with the divison record trophy they can add to their collection