• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels Scouting Director Joins AngelsWin.com Podcast: Talks Prospects & Amateur Draft

RicWilson.jpg

Angels fans, you do not want to miss the latest episode of our AngelsWin.com podcast. Ric Wilson, the Angels scouting director joined us and talked about the current crop of prospects and the upcoming MLB Amateur Draft on June 5th. 

Oh and he also gave us some good news on top relief prospect, R.J. Alvarez. 

So without supplying too much detail, click on the player below and stream our podcast to hear Ric Wilson deliver so much insight to the Angels fan base. 

Stream or Download Here

Check Out Baseball Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with AngelsWin on BlogTalkRadio

Nice job gentlemen! 

Great interview.  Lot's of good stuff. 

I interpreted it differently when he said 'they aren't going to pass' in that I think he was being sarcastic that they weren't going to pass the pick in general.  Not relative to Zimmer. 

He gave some great insight into draft strategy and org philosophy.  BPA early in the draft and then pitching, pitching, pitching.  And more pitching. 

It makes sense in that it's easier to trade pitching for a position player then the other way around.  He talked about how long it can take for a young/HS position player to develop if taken in the middle and lower rounds.  Let them break out with someone else and then trade a James Shields type who is about to hit free agency that you can't sign for a Wil Myers type.  Then let your pitching heavy system fill that gap. 

It was also insightful to hear him talk about Smith and Mcgowin and what types of players they are looking for.  Both with four pitches and both pound the zone with all four.  Strike throwers.  Which also makes sense.  You want your position players to have good plate discipline and get on base and you want your pitchers to prevent that. 

I am really liking the direction of this system right now.  Organized, methodical, and willing to use all the information available to them to make choices. 

Next time he comes on, I would really love to know a little bit more about how they rank player makeup.  I would also be interested in finding out about how they scout other teams players, independent leagues, and some of the random guys we see getting picked up. 

Again.  Nice work here. 

Nice job gentlemen! 

Great interview.  Lot's of good stuff. 

I interpreted it differently when he said 'they aren't going to pass' in that I think he was being sarcastic that they weren't going to pass the pick in general.  Not relative to Zimmer. 

He gave some great insight into draft strategy and org philosophy.  BPA early in the draft and then pitching, pitching, pitching.  And more pitching. 

It makes sense in that it's easier to trade pitching for a position player then the other way around.  He talked about how long it can take for a young/HS position player to develop if taken in the middle and lower rounds.  Let them break out with someone else and then trade a James Shields type who is about to hit free agency that you can't sign for a Wil Myers type.  Then let your pitching heavy system fill that gap. 

It was also insightful to hear him talk about Smith and Mcgowin and what types of players they are looking for.  Both with four pitches and both pound the zone with all four.  Strike throwers.  Which also makes sense.  You want your position players to have good plate discipline and get on base and you want your pitchers to prevent that. 

I am really liking the direction of this system right now.  Organized, methodical, and willing to use all the information available to them to make choices. 

Next time he comes on, I would really love to know a little bit more about how they rank player makeup.  I would also be interested in finding out about how they scout other teams players, independent leagues, and some of the random guys we see getting picked up. 

Again.  Nice work here. 

We'll have you call in Jason. Next time we're going to have a 90 minute show, post draft. 

Great job guys. Really good job on this. Now I'm getting really excited to see who we will pick in the 1st round of the draft. I stayed up way too late reading up on this, and sources have us taking Zimmer, Pentecost, Hoffman, Turner, Schwarber, Jacob Gatewood, and Medeiros. In other words, no one outside of Ric Wilson has a clue what we're going to do!

I like Bradley Zimmer with the pick, I don't think Pentecost will fall far enough for the Angels, but Zimmer or Pentecost have my picks.

I'd be down with either. But I still think the Angels grab the best pitcher available.