• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Getting Healthy

I'm pretty much a big time homer when it comes to the Angels, but I must say I'm a bit worries about some of the players coming back. De la Rosa looked terrible at the beginning of the year (yes, I know, due to injury) and him coming back will probably send Morin back down as opposed to someone like Jepsen.

As much as Ibanez has gotten grief this year, Calhoun has been awful this year. I can't believe how bad he's been. He's one oft favorite Angels and I'm having a tough time watching him. Him and Hamilton coming back take time from Green, Navarro and Cowgill who have been tremendous all year. Hamilton started off great, but we all clearly remember last year so I tend to worry a bit.

I wish the guys who were coming back were replacing bad players, but the only bad player is Ibanez and he is staying for whatever reason.

We were rolling without these guys and I hope we can keep it going, but I must say that I'm worried

At no time should guys who are playing well be benched for players like Calhoun or Ibanez. Calhoun has been out a while so I think it's fair to say he needs a few games to get into a groove. It's a shame that a player who is playing well has to get the short end of the stick.

Uh Calhoun had an .800 OPS and was getting hot when he went down. Going 0-fer in a couple games after coming off the DL doesn't really justify calling him awful.

Exactly...it's one damn game...it's not the end of the world...people need to stop whining and move on

Edited by martinpa25

Uh Calhoun had an .800 OPS and was getting hot when he went down.  Going 0-fer in a couple games after coming off the DL doesn't really justify calling him awful.  

True and what he did in AAA on his rehab doesn't translate into having success at the big league level right away. When Calhoun gets going he's a stud. 

Like I said, I like Calhoun, but a couple hot games right before his injury doesn't mean he hasn't struggled a majority of the time this season. I should have posted this before he came back because my concerns were before these last two games. Also I hope I'm very wrong and proven wrong

Like I said, I like Calhoun, but a couple hot games right before his injury doesn't mean he hasn't struggled a majority of the time this season. I should have posted this before he came back because my concerns were before these last two games. Also I hope I'm very wrong and proven wrong

You're right. It's crazy to base any assumption that Calhoun is getting hot on the fact that he had just three good games before he got hurt.

It's much better to look at the whole entire season he had leading up to that... All 11 games.

Yeah, wouldn't wanna give the guy who slashed .282/.347/.462 with 8 bombs in 159 AB's more than 16 freaking games to get his swing going. Started out a little rough, started getting hot, got hurt, it's been two games. 

I think any way you look at it, there are going to be some hurt feelings.  

Cowgill has played well enough to receive regular playing time, but there's a strong chance he returns to bench duty.  Calhoun is a stud, but will the Angels give him enough time to get thing going with Cowgill playing as well as he has?  Grant Green is the best hitter on this team right now.  He's destined for bench duty this year and will even likely be sent back down to AAA despite his success.  Efren Navarro did nothing but hit this year in both AAA and the majors and he'll log more time in AAA than the majors.  CJ Cron came within inches of winning the game today and has the sort of bat that combined with Pujols, Trout and Hamilton makes the Angels super-dangerous, yet Cron himself looks like he'll be a platoon bat or demoted under Scioscia.  Before tonight, Morin has been the Angels best reliever, yet he may become expendable if Burnett throws well enough and DDLR returns to form.

Every one of those guys should probably be playing everyday right now, but sadly only one or two will.   

Yes Kole Calhoun is a great guy and it's been really cool that he's joined us at the spring training fanfest. He's a good teammate and brings a lot of energy but he might be the perfect description of a tweener. Somewhere stuck between AAA and MLB. I would give him a full season of baseball at the ML level before we toss him aside.

After watching 3 more Calhoun at bats, no one is worried? Green or Navarro might have helped today. Now if Freese, Hamilton and Calhoun were all coming back at much different times, it might be different. But to put these guys in right away around the same time might put a pretty big hole in the lineup

• 2 weeks later...

Calhoun is starting to hit again, but now that everyone has come back we are in an offensive slump. This is why I was worried. Why take out Navarro, Green and Cron who have been hitting and go with what HASN'T been working the last three years?

I just think you have to play Hamilton either in right or left for obvious reasons

One spot open for 3 guys. Calhoun Navarro Green. Navarro can play first as well but then what do u do with Cron. Green can also play third but I doubt the angels bench freese. Just not enough roster spots and positions open for everyone to play