• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hypothetical Howie Kendrick Trade

Howie Kendrick is, without a doubt, one of the most under appreciated 2nd baseman in the league, and by now we all know his strengths and weaknesses—and overall value to this team.

Those in favor of trading HK would agree that now is the best time to trade him as his value is quite high.

I can think of 10 teams in desperate need of a 2B, and they'd probably be willing to give a quality SP, or prospects, etc... in return.

I'm personally against trading HK, but I can't deny the alluring potential of getting something with more long term impact on this franchise (like a SP). I want this team to win this year, but without Howie, chances are slim.

What say you Howie critics?

I'd hold onto Howie, I think the Angels will need another starter, especially if/when an injury to the rotation occurs, but dismantling the big league team doesn't sound like a good idea. I would rather see Lindsey packaged in a deal for a young starter before Howie was shipped out. 

Obviously we shouldn't trade Howie, but in the event of a struggling SP or injury (knock on wood), trading HK might be the only way to keep the team contending.

That scenario can be avoided if Shoemaker is consistent. In the event of a SP injury, the team has Hector Santiago. Shoemaker is really important to this team.

I've been the guy saying we shouldn't trade Howie in most every HK trade thread. But right now is when his value is highest. This team could really go for more starting pitching. If you can get a great return then it's a move you make. I'm talking an all-star caliber pitcher who is young and cost controlled or a couple of top 50 prospects then it's a move you have to look at. Green has been playing great baseball.

IF i were to do it, and ive said i would in the past.. it would not be for prosepcts at this point.
I dont think this is the time for a move like that so i wouldnt right now unless blown away... but if i did it would have to bo for a legit usable piece we actually need in the rotation or something like that... not for anything less.

Grant Green, Taylor Lindsey and Alex Yarbrough will be (in Green's case already is) quality starting 2B at the major league level.  That's why I'd trade Howie, but mot certainly not in the middle of the season when both he and the Angels are playing so well.  I'd wait till the offseason and get something the ball club needs. 

I have been in favor of trading Howie for pitching. We have great depth at 2nd. And it is obvious his days are numbered here. However considering how well the team is playing and how Howie is playing I just don't see it happening

Howie Kendrick is, without a doubt, one of the most under appreciated 2nd baseman in the league, and by now we all know his strengths and weaknesses—and overall value to this team.

Those in favor of trading HK would agree that now is the best time to trade him as his value is quite high.

I can think of 10 teams in desperate need of a 2B, and they'd probably be willing to give a quality SP, or prospects, etc... in return.

I'm personally against trading HK, but I can't deny the alluring potential of getting something with more long term impact on this franchise (like a SP). I want this team to win this year, but without Howie, chances are slim.

What say you Howie critics?

No reason to move Howie...a wise man once said "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush." Here's my take...

-Let Howie play out this year and "if" Lindsey is ready by mid 2015, you move him at the deadline for prospects.

-Keep Green in the bigs in a utility role, hopefully he can blossom into a poor man's Ben Zobrist.

-Alex Yarbrough, while he has a track record of putting the bat on the ball he hasn't shown much plate discipline. For this reason, I'd give the future nod to Lindsey and look into dealing AY

The team is performing, so why make the trade? Angels are in a fortunate position to where teams will be calling Jerry.

As Mancini said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

However as I, AJ, and Chuck have also said we have plenty of depth behind Howie with Green, Lindsey, and Yarbrough so in the off-season we can revisit this idea. The only scenario I can see where we trade him any time sooner is if we have a real need before the trade deadline and Green and company can adequately fill the void.

Howie is performing like a top 5 2bman right now on a team with one of the top 5 records.  There is no chance in hades that he gets traded.  Say what you want about depth, but every player that would potentially take his spot isn't nearly as good.  Which means he'd have to net a player that would provide a significant upgrade over someone we have now over the downgrade that replaced him.

It's just not a good idea.

Doc, I don't think anyone is saying the replacements are as good as Howie right now.  Howie's had a hot bat since Spring Training and is filling a variety of holes in the lineup, including leadoff and cleanup.  But what I believe is that come offseason, Grant Green may be a suitable replacement for Howie if he could fetch some additional pitching that would could ensure this team's future success.  Admittedly, Green's ability to play both shortstop and third base as well as second make him an attractive option as a utility infielder rather than being chained to one spot.  He'd still play everyday, it'd just be at a variety of different positions.  His bat is too good to keep out of the lineup.  But, Green could take over at 2B until the Angels decide that either Lindsey or Yarbrough are ready for an every day spot in the lineup, then he'd move to UT IF.

Admittedly, it'll be interesting to see who the Angels will choose between Lindsey and Yarbrough.  Yarbrough will hit for better average, is the better athlete and better defender, but Lindsey is younger, with slightly more power and much better plate discipline.  Both will likely be ready by the beginning of next year.  One of them is going to be traded, and you have to believe the a trade will be coming within the next year. 

0% chance Howie is traded when the team is playing this well. Howie may be having a fluke start with his walk rate(9.2 BB% this year, 4.6 BB% in his career) or it could be that Howie is really emphasizing trying to get on base more. 

If Howie is a .380 OBP guy, he's a potential top 25 player in baseball. You don't move him now.