• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kudos to Dipoto

I tend to be critical of our GM, feeling that many of his moves and signings were unwise, but I've got to give it to him - he's assembled a deep, balanced, and seemingly complete team. Well done, Jerry.

Consider that...

The offense is scoring runs despite the fact that Trout has been slumping for weeks (although hopefully that is changing), Pujols was slumping, and Hamilton was out. In other words, their three best offensive players were either absent or slumping (not to mention Calhoun being out) and the team still has won 11 of their last 14. The reason the Angels have done so well are the complementary players like Kendrick, Aybar, Iannetta and Conger, but also the bench players like Cowgill, Grant, Cron and Navarro.

The starting pitching is really looking good. Weaver, Wilson and Richards all look like #2ish starters and Skaggs is holding his own. Shoemaker has filled in nicely and Santiago, well, he has potential and excellent stuff. I think at the least he can still be a  #4.

The bullpen has been much stronger of late, even Frieri who has seen his ERA cut in half since April 23, a span of 10 appearances in which he's only given up one home run. Furthermore, Sean Burnett is finally healthy, Jepsen, Salas, Kohn, and Smith have all been good, and Morin has looked very promising. Perhaps best of all, the Angels have two young flame-throwers in AJ Alvarez and Cam Bedrosian who will probably contribute later this year.

Looking at the team as a whole, I don't see a lot of improvements needed - at least not from the outside. I suppose another starting pitcher would be good to have, but Shoemaker has been good and hopefully Santiago will settle down, so it isn't absolutely necessary. I don't think we need any relievers--which is surprising to say--and the offense will only get better as the year progresses.

Who knows, maybe Scioscia was right and this really is a 95-win team. I certainly see 90+ as well within reach.

But again, great job Jerry - and thank you for guiding the team back to a place where we can be more optimistic than we have been in half a decade.

Edited by Angelsjunky

It's just crazy how deep this team has become and how certain players have performed. Raise your hand if you actually thought Effren Navarro, Collin Cowgil and CJ Cron would be contributing in big ways in May? There isn't a fan of this team that should be anything but ecstatic with our record so far especially considering losing Hamilton and Calhoun. Hell regardless of injuries I'm assuming most of us would take a 27-20 start to the season. Were on pace to win 93 games and that's with a slow start.

I love watching this team play. They are well balanced and seem to be playing fundamental baseball.

Morin showing he can pitch at the big level is huge. As is Burnett coming back. The bullpen now looks like it could be at top 5 or 6 in the league, but probably won't be a top pen.

The positional players have been great, and the depth in that part of the organization is great.

I'd love to see one more starting pitcher. I just don't trust that Skaggs and Shoemaker will play like long term.

The team is playing well and is getting contributions from many sources.  Great to see.  Is it possible that Skaggs, Shoemaker and Santiago could see innings limits later this season cut their seasons short?  We may have to consider a trade to shore up the starting staff for post-season play.  The fact that we haven't had to make trades in order to see this turnaround is great, combined with the fact that the minor league system is flourishing.

Plus he's a super nice guy. After last Sunday's game we saw him on the concourse, and he stopped and talked to my boys, listened to a couple stories from them about their little league season, shook their hands and said that maybe someday he'd sign them to the Angels. Made their day!

Now that Dipoto has got the team running on almost all cylinders, it'll be interesting to see where he goes now. It seemed like he was always playing catch-up with the organization. I really like Shoemaker, throws harder than I thought he would, throws strikes, and just attacks the zone. Like you mentioned Santiago still has upside. The two of them at least offer depth in case of an injury but I really feel like they'll need another starter. Acquire someone who can be a decent 4-5 type and wait for the off-season, I feel like they're gonna make a splash with Shields, Masterson, a Santana reunion?, Peavy, or De La Rosa (I doubt Scherzer)

He's clearly found his groove as the GM, and I think he's learned a ton from some of his initial mistakes. I support him 100%, and I applaud his success of to turning shit to gold. i.e: making the best out of what little he was given (I.e the BP, starting rotation, depth, etc).

It's nice to see a GM not afraid to bring up a bunch of minor leaguers; it shows how much faith he has in the organization.

He's the real deal.

Edited by failos

That's the funny thing, he is doing the same thing he did last year. Last year it was Blanton and Hansen, this year it is Skaggs and Santiago. He's taking the same risks and if anything the one this year is even more riskier.

But his building of a farm is top notch. His job is equally tough strapped with bad contracts like Wells and Pujols ever since he's been here. 

...combined with the fact that the minor league system is flourishing.

In terms of the long-term future of the club, this is the biggest thing. Dipoto inherited a farm system that was one of the worst in baseball, and one of his primary goals has been to rebuild it. No team can have sustained success without a solid farm system.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

We did make trades. We traded Bourjos, Grichulk, and Trumbo.

The team is playing well and is getting contributions from many sources. Great to see. Is it possible that Skaggs, Shoemaker and Santiago could see innings limits later this season cut their seasons short? We may have to consider a trade to shore up the starting staff for post-season play. The fact that we haven't had to make trades in order to see this turnaround is great, combined with the fact that the minor league system is flourishing.

Plus he's a super nice guy. After last Sunday's game we saw him on the concourse, and he stopped and talked to my boys, listened to a couple stories from them about their little league season, shook their hands and said that maybe someday he'd sign them to the Angels. Made their day!

a verbal contract is considered binding in california.

If he doesnt keep his work when your kids are old enough for the draft, peoples court time

He's certainly not getting some of the credit he deserves.  

1. Is Albert contract stupid?  Yes, of course it is, but he's an elite 1B and clubhouse leader.  

2. Is Hamilton's contract stupid?  A little bit, but I'm confident he's still the .275 30 HR hitter we're paying him to be.

3. You hear almost nothing about him signing CJ Wilson.  16 million a year for an all-star caliber lefty.

4. Trout's the best player in baseball and Dipoto locked him up for the next 7 years.  

5. Tyler Skaggs looks like a solid #4 starter right now, and there's a very good chance he'll be a #2/3 in a couple years.

6. Kyle Johnson was a good prospect to have and is looking great in AA right now, but Cowgill is this team's 4th OF and a top notch defensive replacement who's showing he belongs in the majors. 

7. Chatwood's looked outstanding in Colorado, but Iannetta and Conger make a great catching duo. 

8. Freese is heating up and it finally looks like this team will have a passable starting 3B. 

9. Grant Green is one of the best hitters in the minor leagues and is showing he can do it at the major league level and it only cost the Angels a redundant Alberto Callaspo. 

10. The organization is stocked full of infielder and relief prospects who are a lot more promising than many sites have led you to believe. 

The only fault I place on Dipoto right now is that the Angels are in desperate need of starting pitching prospects in AA/AAA, messed up on Blanton and Hanson and that he sold way too low on Randal Grichuk. 

Both dipoto and scioscia came into this season with their jobs on the line, and both have stepped up big time. Good job guys, I'm glad everyone is finally on the same page.

I'm really really liking what Jerry is doing with the farm. He is setting this organization up for another nice run of successful seasons