• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What the Hell, Cubs?

Blarg

This organization excels at being crappy. They are 17-28 for a reason, their 3rd baseman is Mike Olt that was a failure with the Rangers and now a failure with the Cubs with a line of .180/.254/.441/.695. He is not even a good defensive 3rd baseman so why in the hell doesn't a supposedly numbers smart GM like Theo Epstien make the call and start Chris Bryant's clock.

For those of you who don't know Bryant he is 6'5" thinner version of Troy Glaus. He completely destroyed A ball last season and hasn't missed a beat posting a .335/.431/.623 line with 12 home runs in 40 games. I watched this guy in Fall league and he just kills the ball. His defense is adequate enough that Olt won't have any argument that he is better. 

So why is this guy sitting in the minors with little to learn when the Cubs have nothing better to do that take a chance on a phenom and let him get his feet wet without any playoff pressure. Since Barney and Schierholtz are both running a .500 OPS why not just run the prospects out there? 

i think you answered your own question.

1. they are crappy.

2. why start bryant's clock?

3. olt is hitting for power. i think he has 9 homeruns.

i'm not defending them. i'm just answering the question with the most likely answers.

Like ukyah said, Olt has shown power.  Also, his AVG is being dragged down right now by a .169 BABIP.    It could be that his AA numbers were a fluke since he wasn't great in AAA last year either, but this would be awfully early to give up on a former top 25 prospect.  

This organization excels at being crappy. They are 17-28 for a reason, their 3rd baseman is Mike Olt that was a failure with the Rangers and now a failure with the Cubs with a line of .180/.254/.441/.695. He is not even a good defensive 3rd baseman so why in the hell doesn't a supposedly numbers smart GM like Theo Epstien make the call and start Chris Bryant's clock.

For those of you who don't know Bryant he is 6'5" thinner version of Troy Glaus. He completely destroyed A ball last season and hasn't missed a beat posting a .335/.431/.623 line with 12 home runs in 40 games. I watched this guy in Fall league and he just kills the ball. His defense is adequate enough that Olt won't have any argument that he is better.

So why is this guy sitting in the minors with little to learn when the Cubs have nothing better to do that take a chance on a phenom and let him get his feet wet without any playoff pressure. Since Barney and Schierholtz are both running a .500 OPS why not just run the prospects out there?

*Kris Bryant.

But yeah, he's a stud. Their top prospect Javier Baez has struggled in AAA. Their only bright spits have been Castro and Rizzo.

i think you answered your own question.

1. they are crappy.

2. why start bryant's clock?

3. olt is hitting for power. i think he has 9 homeruns.

i'm not defending them. i'm just answering the question with the most likely answers.

Why start Trout's clock, Bourjos was just in a slump. At least that seems to be the logic in leaving Bryant in the minors.

Olt is a mirage inbterms of production. You can look at the 9 home runs then realize there is nothing in between those and striking out at least once a game. If you think he can be productive then move him to right field, no one will miss Scheirholtz's .500 OPS.

I don't see the rush. The guy is killing it, but only 80 MiL games under his belt. All players will struggle during some time in their career and let them learn how to deal with it in the minors. Calling him up now would mean he will face his first struggles at the ML level. Plus the Cubs are looking to be a couple years away from turning around this club. So why start his clock now when their season will not be saved by this one player. They could wait til next year and have Javier Baez and Kris Bryant start off next season. That might be the best way to start rebuilding this club from within.

Why start Trout's clock, Bourjos was just in a slump. At least that seems to be the logic in leaving Bryant in the minors.

Olt is a mirage inbterms of production. You can look at the 9 home runs then realize there is nothing in between those and striking out at least once a game. If you think he can be productive then move him to right field, no one will miss Scheirholtz's .500 OPS.

like i said, they're not my thoughts. i'm just giving you the most likely answers to your question.

With the seemingly unlimited budget he had for the Red Sox and how few players they have developed there is the argument that Epstein, while claiming to be a numbers guy, really only used the power of free agency to create a winning team in Boston.

The current GM is no different, much of the Red Sox roster is bought, not developed.

As for Bryant, starting him now puts him in front of MLB talent and his ability to adapt to that is more telling than if he can overcome a slump vs guys that may never make it out of AAA. Having no expectation he is going to change the Cubs season should take the pressure off instead if holding him back to a year they are supposed to contend.

like i said, they're not my thoughts. i'm just giving you the most likely answers to your question.

Those are the most likely excuses for leaving Bryant where he is. If I were a Cubs fan I wouldn't want to sit and watch Olt stagger through the season when they have a super talent in the minors. I would want to see Bryant play every day.

i disagree, but it's a subjective statement anyway.

Yeah, it's subjective, and hyperbolic. I just remember when he left Boston to join the Cubs—many assumed he'd be the franchise's savior.

Except Trout was brought up in a year where the expectation was that the team was going to compete for a playoff spot. There was at least reason to hope that a strong performance from him could potentially make the difference for that team.

That's not the 2014 Cubs. Starting Bryant's clock so he can (hopefully) mash on a shitty Cubs team now and make them marginally less shitty at the expense of team control later on when more of the Cubs' young talent comes into play and they're aiming to be contenders accomplishes nothing.

All it would do is placate impatient fans. And that shouldn't be a priority for a GM when it comes to these decisions.

Edited by jshep

And many assumed the Red Sox would never see another World Series after Epstein's built team crashed and burned.

I still can't believe they managed to win the World Series last year. Truly remarkable

Yeah, it's subjective, and hyperbolic. I just remember when he left Boston to join the Cubs—many assumed he'd be the franchise's savior.

He's in his 3rd year as their GM and came on after the Cubs had just wrapped up a 71-91 season. He was tasked with taking over a rebuilding project, which takes time. The first few years have been him basically shedding off the bad contracts and rebuilding their farm system, which is now one of the very best in MLB

We'll see how much his work pays off in 2015-2016 most likely. Cubs top prospects should be up by then, and with a young nucleus to build around, the Cubs could be more aggressive in FA with a big name player or two to help then really contend

Except Trout was brought up in a year where the expectation was that the team was going to compete for a playoff spot. There was at least reason to hope that a strong performance from him could potentially make the difference for that team.

That's not the 2014 Cubs. Starting Bryant's clock so he can (hopefully) mash on a shitty Cubs team now and make them marginally less shitty at the expense of team control later on when more of the Cubs' young talent comes into play and they're aiming to be contenders accomplishes nothing.

All it would do is placate impatient fans. And that shouldn't be a priority for a GM when it comes to these decisions.

Shep, my argument is not really about Bryant being the best player on a crappy team. If you wait for the Cubs to be good before bringing up talent it is like waiting for a nice day in December in Northern Wisconsin to sport your bathing suit at the shore. It probably will never happen.

Waiting means you have a bunch of guys with no MLB experience on what should be a contender, making rookie mistakes and not getting the most out of that talent. You are back to not being a contender because none of these guys have played a season with each other and have any chemistry. Better to play the young guys and let them grow into their roles.

He's in his 3rd year as their GM and came on after the Cubs had just wrapped up a 71-91 season. He was tasked with taking over a rebuilding project, which takes time. The first few years have been him basically shedding off the bad contracts and rebuilding their farm system, which is now one of the very best in MLB

We'll see how much his work pays off in 2015-2016 most likely. Cubs top prospects should be up by then, and with a young nucleus to build around, the Cubs could be more aggressive in FA with a big name player or two to help then really contend

The Cubs really only have 4 guys signed long term, next season half the squad goes to arbitration. Worrying about starting Bryant's clock is really a non issue.

Baez just woke up about a week ago and is murdering everything his path in AAA.  The Cubs will look pretty good with him, Bryant and Soler in the same field.  Now they just need pitching.  They need to deal Samardzija and restock their system full of high end starting pitchers in AA or higher.  

In 3 years, the Cubs are going to be monsters.