• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 5/23/14 Royals @ Angels

I do wish Scioscia would stop with the different lineup entirely for a LHP vs a RHP. It's getting a bit absurd. Ibanez cleanup vs all RHP and no PT for Cron or Green. Now Calhoun can't hit against lefties. It's one giant platoon. #platoonyball

If they win everyone can care less who's in and where they bat

They lose....we all bitch

I do wish Scioscia would stop with the different lineup entirely for a LHP vs a RHP.  It's getting a bit absurd.  Ibanez cleanup vs all RHP and no PT for Cron or Green.  Now Calhoun can't hit against lefties.  It's one giant platoon.  #platoonyball

With the way Cowgill has been playing, I'm fine with Calhoun being eased back into the starting lineup. The Royals starting pitcher has a very low ERA (around 1.23) against LHB's.

No I don't think it's a good idea that Aybar bats second because Trout is our number two hitter. His OBP is poor but he does a lot of things you want from a #2 hitter. He puts the ball in play, he can bunt, he doesn't strike out much, you can hit and run with him, he runs the bases well (although he makes stupid decisions), he's a veteran that can handle the bat. With our options the other night Aybar was as good of choice as any.

As far as you want stability in the line up, well that's what Mike did last year, it ended poorly. When you have the sudden depth they have then you will see a bunch of different line ups.

Those are none of the things I want from a #2 hitter.

I want a guy who can get on base. Which is coincidentally the thing Erick Aybar is the worst at.

You don't want your #2 hitter to bunt. That's giving away an out. You want your #2 hitter to be able to get on base. So no, Aybar does not do a lot of things you want from a #2 hitter. In fact, he's arguably the worst option for the 2 hole on the team. "veteran that can handle the bat" is a made up term that dinosaurs like Scioscia believe in. Not striking out isn't a useful skill by itself. Getting on base is. Aybar has shown throughout his career he belongs no where near the top of a lineup. I frankly can't even believe you're trying to argue that he was a good option for that role last night.

Cowgil would have made a better #2 hitter but really that's about it from the other night. I have no problem bunting from my #2 hitter if it's late in the game to put a runner in scoring position for Albert. I'm only defending it because Trout wasn't starting and it was Calhouns first game back.

I want a guy who can get on base. Which is coincidentally the thing Erick Aybar is the worst at.

Ok, so hitting and running, good speed and doesn't strike out much are not good qualities from a number two hitter?

Ibanez, Freese, Conger, Navarro, And Cowgill, those were the other options that night.

There is no such thing as a set lineup anymore in baseball.  There are too many injuries and players not at 100%, too many reasons to miss games.  I tried to make this point at the beginning of the year, you need 45 solid, contributing players to win a championship.  So far the Angels have used 37 different players this year (19 positionally, and 18 pitchers).  Most contributed, a few not so much.  I would bet with 90% certainty that they will use at least eight additional different players before the season ends, historically over the past ten years this is the norm.  The higher the contribution level from all 45 the better chances you have of winning.  Baseball has changed, one you embrace the statistical changes the game has brought and you play match ups, keep guys in the line up who are at or near 100% health, the more you move away from any form of set line up.  The teams who employ set line ups generally have poor depth in roster spots 25 - 45.

There is no such thing as a set lineup anymore in baseball.  There are too many injuries and players not at 100%, too many reasons to miss games.  I tried to make this point at the beginning of the year, you need 45 solid, contributing players to win a championship.  So far the Angels have used 37 different players this year (19 positionally, and 18 pitchers).  Most contributed, a few not so much.  I would bet with 90% certainty that they will use at least eight additional different players before the season ends, historically over the past ten years this is the norm.  The higher the contribution level from all 45 the better chances you have of winning.  Baseball has changed, one you embrace the statistical changes the game has brought and you play match ups, keep guys in the line up who are at or near 100% health, the more you move away from any form of set line up.  The teams who employ set line ups generally have poor depth in roster spots 25 - 45.

Hm. Good point.  This hurts my fantasy teams though. 

By the way, Burnette is #38 this year, at least seven to go.

Edited by tomsred

Interesting. Too bad your not a major league manager. I know I am not one but I have heard many interviews from baseball experts on how the no. 2 hitter should be someone who puts the ball in play...has good bat control....and can move runners into scoring position. I know I should ignore all of them and accept your wisdom.

You make excellent points, Tom.

Lol at defending Aybar hitting 2nd. He swung at 4 freakin pitches outside the strike zone his first AB.

And getting an RBI yesterday proves nothing. If Aybar hit 9th and Navarro hit 2nd, it would have been the same result, with Navarro getting the RBI and Aybar getting the run. Plus, Navarro would have gotten an extra AB.

There is no such thing as a set lineup anymore in baseball.  There are too many injuries and players not at 100%, too many reasons to miss games. 

scioscia doesnt set the lineup based on injuries.  he has one hitter on the DL - hamilton.  the others get to start based on whether a lefty or right pitcher is starting...it's idiotic.

i want to see if conger can play everyday before we declare him a platoon player.  sciosca hasnt even bothered to find out if he can hit lefties.  i like the way conger handles the pitching staff compared to iannetta, and his bat is much better as well.  it would be more beneficial to the team if conger plays everyday instead.

calhoun loses his starting job just because he's a lefty or because he got hurt?  i have no idea because scioscia never does anything that makes sense.  calhoun played great last year, but it wasnt even enough to give him a starting job this year.  what do u gotta do to play everyday if you're a lefthander?  hit like ted williams right out of the gate or what?  this is getting ridiculous.

Interesting. Too bad your not a major league manager. I know I am not one but I have heard many interviews from baseball experts on how the no. 2 hitter should be someone who puts the ball in play...has good bat control....and can move runners into scoring position. I know I should ignore all of them and accept your wisdom.

Thanks for the appeal to authority!

I needed that for my "Logical Fallacy" bingo card.