• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 5/23/14 Royals @ Angels

Yea **** Green that guy sucks!

/sarcasm

Two things are for certain in this world, Scioscia plays a lot of guys, and people will bitch about it regardless of how the team plays. Angels win 10 of 13, with different line ups. Ignore the results and bitch about the line ups. The other night people complained about Howie (.388 OBP) and Aybar batting 1-2. Yet they had two of the five hits and one of the two RBI.

Two things are for certain in this world, Scioscia plays a lot of guys, and people will bitch about it regardless of how the team plays. Angels win 10 of 13, with different line ups. Ignore the results and bitch about the line ups. The other night people complained about Howie (.388 OBP) and Aybar batting 1-2. Yet they had two of the five hits and one of the two RBI.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure citing a game where we scored 2 runs is helping your point.  Also, our good record over the last couple weeks is largely due to pitching (2.87 team ERA since the start of the Toronto series) and not hitting (.253/.331/.396 slash over that same period).  

We bitch a lot about the lineups (me included), because quite frankly, Scioscia provides a lot of bitch-fodder.  Sticking a guy whose OBP looks like a batting avg at leadoff, and fairly strictly adhering to lefty-righty convention -- which is dinosaur logic given how many players have even or reverse splits in the game today -- pretty much gives the middle finger to lineup construction theory.  

In reality you could throw 9 names in a hat and just play lineup roulette every night and a good team will still win a lot of games, But in a 162 game season that can come down to 1 or 2 wins, that extra edge matters.  

Yea **** Green that guy sucks!

/sarcasm

i said for scioscia to pick a leadoff hitter and stick with it - no one complained about howie hitting 1st, u conjured that up.  i complained about aybar and yes he got a whopping one rbi, so what?  you think its a good idea to keep him in the two spot?  it's baseball - any stupid move could end up working once in a while, that doesnt mean it's the right or smart thing to do.

u obviously missed the point about these lineup cards.  it's hard to keep hitting and keep producing if u only play once or twice a week.  it doesnt make sense for guys who had big games to get sat the next day because a lefty is starting (conger), and even though aybar got a whopping one rbi yesterday that doesnt mean it's a good idea to keep him there.  over the course of a long season (not one at bat like you claim) it makes a difference.

i said for scioscia to pick a leadoff hitter and stick with it - no one complained about howie hitting 1st, u conjured that up. i complained about aybar and yes he got a whopping one rbi, so what? you think its a good idea to keep him in the two spot? it's baseball - any stupid move could end up working once in a while, that doesnt mean it's the right or smart thing to do.

u obviously missed the point about these lineup cards. it's hard to keep hitting and keep producing if u only play once or twice a week. it doesnt make sense for guys who had big games to get sat the next day because a lefty is starting (conger), and even though aybar got a whopping one rbi yesterday that doesnt mean it's a good idea to keep him there. over the course of a long season (not one at bat like you claim) it makes a difference.

No I don't think it's a good idea that Aybar bats second because Trout is our number two hitter. His OBP is poor but he does a lot of things you want from a #2 hitter. He puts the ball in play, he can bunt, he doesn't strike out much, you can hit and run with him, he runs the bases well (although he makes stupid decisions), he's a veteran that can handle the bat. With our options the other night Aybar was as good of choice as any.

As far as you want stability in the line up, well that's what Mike did last year, it ended poorly. When you have the sudden depth they have then you will see a bunch of different line ups.

No I don't think it's a good idea that Aybar bats second because Trout is our number two hitter. His OBP is poor but he does a lot of things you want from a #2 hitter. He puts the ball in play, he can bunt, he doesn't strike out much, you can hit and run with him, he runs the bases well (although he makes stupid decisions), he's a veteran that can handle the bat. With our options the other night Aybar was as good of choice as any.

As far as you want stability in the line up, well that's what Mike did last year, it ended poorly. When you have the sudden depth they have then you will see a bunch of different line ups.

You don't want your #2 hitter to bunt. That's giving away an out. You want your #2 hitter to be able to get on base. So no, Aybar does not do a lot of things you want from a #2 hitter. In fact, he's arguably the worst option for the 2 hole on the team. "veteran that can handle the bat" is a made up term that dinosaurs like Scioscia believe in. Not striking out isn't a useful skill by itself. Getting on base is. Aybar has shown throughout his career he belongs no where near the top of a lineup. I frankly can't even believe you're trying to argue that he was a good option for that role last night.