• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Fangraphs] Pedro Martinez on the Art and Science of Pitching

This is a must read for any pitcher.

Pedro, at his peak (1997-2003) was the best pitcher I've ever seen, and arguably the best pitcher at his peak in the history of the game. He was essentially an elite closer who started.

Interestingly enough, that era - the late 90s/early 00s - saw arguably the greatest peak performers of all time in the three main roles:

position player - Barry Bonds (2001-04)

starter - Pedro Martinez  (1997-2003)

closer - Eric Gagne (2002-04)

Good read. Pedro and Vlad are the two guys I've seen that I wish I could just watch play every day forever. I've never seen another pitcher with the combination of stuff, command, and swagger that Pedro had.

Pedro's 99-00 seasons may be the best stretch of pitching the game has ever seen.  The fact he did it during the steroid era makes it all the more ridiculous.

This part though:

“Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball."

Had me like fff42edcbf301998b19edb45b38e024be37bf7b6