• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm glad we passed on Maholm

Every year there are about 10 names that float around this site in the offseason and a lot of people seem to want them. Then they sign elsewhere and people scream at Dipoto. And then by the end of the year only one of those names ends up being any good.

Hudson was signed too early for us to even have a chance.

Our rotation is doing just fine so there shouldn't be any complaints.

Hughes, Haren, Maholm, Scott Baker, Garza and Santana were a few of the names I remember being thrown out there. About half of those guys are doing good, but like I said, we don't seem to need pitching at the moment

Every year there are about 10 names that float around this site in the offseason and a lot of people seem to want them. Then they sign elsewhere and people scream at Dipoto. And then by the end of the year only one of those names ends up being any good.

Hudson was signed too early for us to even have a chance.

Our rotation is doing just fine so there shouldn't be any complaints.

Hughes, Haren, Maholm, Scott Baker, Garza and Santana were a few of the names I remember being thrown out there. About half of those guys are doing good, but like I said, we don't seem to need pitching at the moment

That's why I don't have as big a problem with the Hanson and even Blanton signings as most. We will hit on some risks (like Skaggs or if we would have signed Hudson or Hughes) and we will miss on some. That is what happens when you shop in the bargain bin. The key is not making a big enough commitment to the bargain bin players to be stuck with them. I actually prefer this because some high end players can turn out to be duds too.

That's why I don't have as big a problem with the Hanson and even Blanton signings as most. We will hit on some risks (like Skaggs or if we would have signed Hudson or Hughes) and we will miss on some. That is what happens when you shop in the bargain bin. The key is not making a big enough commitment to the bargain bin players to be stuck with them. I actually prefer this because some high end players can turn out to be duds too.

While I disagree in the sense that the thought processes used to target Huddy and Hughes also tended to steer a person away from Blanton and Hanson, you're right in saying the key is in identifying how much $$$ to risk.

That's why I don't have a problem with them passing on Huddy, he ended up costing more (12 Mil) than I felt he would end up getting or would have spent in the first place..  But Hudson and Hughes are shining examples of why people should keep from using ERA to predict future results.  Also IMO the narrative that our pitching is fine so there was no need to add them is short sighed.  Injuries happen all the time, and we are not fine if that happens.

Ultimately the front office went into the offseason with a plan A, plan B, plan C, and let the situation play out.   The Trumbo trade remains a masterpiece even with Santiago struggling early on.
Edited by Inside Pitch

I was not on Phil Hughes but he seemed to have turned it around after a few bad starts to start the season. He's doing really well now since for the Twins. 

Well, you were all over the "NO to Maholm" ticket -- Win some lose some, plus you like a lot of people were hoping for more than a back end starter if the Angels were going to spend money..  BTW, you notice Wade LeBlanc is pitching like he forgot he is Wade LeBlanc in SLC? 

Edited by Inside Pitch