• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT Book 1-5 Spoilers)

Um should probably post in here. It's not cool to have spoilers in the GoT thread.

TV watchers, stat clear of here.

MOD EDIT (Red321): Added Spoilers to the Title of the Thread...even so I'm sure someone will open the thread and then whine about common courtesy and you ruined everything.

MOD EDIT #2 (Thomas Crow): Added Book 1-5 to make it more obvious for the TV only folks.

MOD EDIT #3 (Red321): You really think they are that dense they needed Book 1-5 added? You are probably right. I'm still going to enjoy the first "oh my gawd....Tyrion is dead...you bastards ruined it" post

Edited by red321

he's never going to finish winds of winter.

i want to know what happens when davos goes to skagos ffs.

My guess is he has no idea how to finish it, that's why it's taking so long, and he's talking about a third book now which is really just a stall tactic because you don't know how to bring it to conclusion and you figure if you just keep writing eventually it will come to you.

King came close to dying before finishing The Dark Tower

Jordan did die before finishing The Wheel of Time

Given Martin's loss of control over the series combined with his obesity, I think it's fair for readers to worry he might depart this earth before its done.  

So, question...would you prefer he finishes it quickly, maybe not as polished and cuts through/doesn't finish some of the minor threads...a rushed ending but an ending. Or would you rather he continues at his pace and let's say it takes two books to finish (without some of the senseless crap included in books 4 & 5...let's say gets back to Book 3 style) and risk he doesn't finish?

So, question...would you prefer he finishes it quickly, maybe not as polished and cuts through/doesn't finish some of the minor threads...a rushed ending but an ending. Or would you rather he continues at his pace and let's say it takes two books to finish (without some of the senseless crap included in books 4 & 5...let's say gets back to Book 3 style) and risk he doesn't finish?

Or as he joked from the perspective of Hodor

Blb3BSUCcAE43Sz.jpg

I always figured part of the problem with 4 and 5 is that they put most of the boring characters in the 4th book. Brienne, Cersei, Sansa, Sam, Arya's chapters become mind numbing. Ah hell, looking at the 5th book I can see it was just as bad as well. Too many chapters just went nowhere. Where one could have sufficed, he wrote 4.

It was when he started taking 5 years between novels and taking on a bunch of extra POV that the writing became garbage.  The last 2 have been almost unreadable for me.  It's almost good again in the last few chapters of Dance, but I still don't have my hopes up too much.

You could check out the couple chapters of Winds of Winter he has released.

lol

on the other hand, I devoured Sanderson's new Stormlight Archive novel in a week because I know that he's in the zone right now, and the next will be out in a year or two.  

Is that a series worth reading? I don't read a lot of fantasy, mostly Sci-Fi. I love good Space Operas and tend to stay mostly in the Science Fiction genre. From a fantasy perspective I've really only read this series and of course the Lord of the Rings books...which I enjoyed for the most part.

There was what...5 years between books 4 and 5 and now he's consulting (call it what you will) on a major hit TV show.  Call me a skeptic but I agree that as of now he likely doesn't know how it's going to end.  As we talked about briefly using the spoiler tag in the other thread I think he got too many story lines going and as someone else mentioned he likes being the guy who will kill off any characters and maybe went overboard.  I've yet to read book 5 but I can't imagine how all of the story lines will come together when the series wraps up.  

I'm assuming that he had the ending planned out before writing it, the way that most epic fantasy authors do. King knew his ending. Jordan wrote Tarmon Gaidon (the last battle) before he started the series, and gave notes to Sanderson to finish it. Jordan had lost control, too, and IMO, Sanderson's final novels were much better than the 5-6 that Jordan wrote before it. Hoping Martin has a back up plan, lol.

Totally agree. I am reading thru Sanderson's second of the three novels right now, and very happy with how he ties up all the loose ends that Jordan created.

There was what...5 years between books 4 and 5 and now he's consulting (call it what you will) on a major hit TV show.  Call me a skeptic but I agree that as of now he likely doesn't know how it's going to end.  As we talked about briefly using the spoiler tag in the other thread I think he got too many story lines going and as someone else mentioned he likes being the guy who will kill off any characters and maybe went overboard.  I've yet to read book 5 but I can't imagine how all of the story lines will come together when the series wraps up.  

Well, he does have an ending already planned out.  Apparently he has given the show runners a complete outline of how the story goes if for some reason he dies before he can finish the books.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has the books done or at least close to being done.  HBO has a huge interest in those books now and can be paying him money not to publish them.  I doubt HBO wants people finding out what happens on the show far in advance.  What I could see happening is HBO having him hold off on publishing the books until the show catches up.  Then once they do, he can publish each book around the same time the season for that book is taking place.

I do agree he's killed off way too many characters.  He says that no one is safe but where is the surprise and suspense if people are falling dead left and right?  There's only 3 more episodes and we've still yet to see Tywin and Oberyn get killed.  I'm sure those won't be popular decisions with the fan base of the show.

I still think he should have had Joffrey live for the majority of the story.  I think he was a perfect villain and the the center piece for why there is this huge war going on in the first place.  

Edited by Chimi

I do agree he's killed off way too many characters.  He says that no one is safe but where is the surprise and suspense if people are falling dead left and right?  There's only 3 more episodes and we've still yet to see Tywin and Oberyn get killed.  I'm sure those won't be popular decisions with the fan base of the show.

I still think he should have had Joffrey live for the majority of the story.  I think he was a perfect villain and the the center piece for why there is this huge war going on in the first place.  

I'm not sure I agree that he has killed off too many characters. I enjoy the fact that nobody is safe, and the "hero" doesn't always win. And seriously, was Robb a hero? He was a dumb ass who made one stupid decision after another. Catelyn wasn't much better. Biggest disappointment I've had with the books is when she was brought back. Though I do agree having Joffrey die so soon was a mistake, if only because it means we have to read through a book worth of Cersei and all her whining. At the same time it's what led to the upcoming conflict with Tyrion and Tywin and also threw everything back in to chaos.

Oberyn dies in the next episode, most likely Tywin dies in the second to last episode of the season. I would expect Ygritte's death to happen, and I will admit that bummed me out when it happened in the books.

I couldn't imagine any person facing Gregor would live.  

I wasn't as enamored with the Oberynn character as others, I guess.  I'd be fine with most of the Martell stuff disappearing, really.  

I wonder how much that has to do with how well he has been portrayed on the show. Do people think more of him because of that?