• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cam Bedrosian sits down with AngelsWin.com

camb.jpg

Interview Conducted by Robert Cunningham, AngelsWin.com Staff Writer - 

Author’s Notes:  I tried to keep the interviews brief as I quickly discovered the team had a bus to catch for their next series and I didn't want to take up too much of their time.  But I think you’ll get a glimpse and some insight into each player’s personality. Additionally this transcription has been edited slightly for readability and comprehension as needed.

Robert: So I looked up your stats and clearly you've been having a good season. Obviously you are progressing from the Tommy John Surgery you had. How do you feel so far?

Cam: Really good. I had TJS in 2011. Had the year off. Started throwing again in 2012. A little bit of a rough year that year. After the 18 months I was throwing again and it felt really good. Been throwing well since.

Robert: Can you tell us about your pitch selection, tell us the types of pitches you throw and the velocities on those pitches?

Cam: Yeah I throw a fastball, slider and change-up. Mostly fastball/slider. The fastball gets up in the 94-97 mph, even up to 99. Slider I’m not sure about the velocity, I think it is in the mid-80’s. Change up is a circle-type that gets up in the mid-80’s.

Robert: What have you been focusing on this season? Anything in particular such as training regimen or focusing on certain pitches?

Cam: Probably the biggest thing is getting ahead of hitters. Nothing big has changed but once you are able to do that it makes things a lot easier. That’s the biggest thing I’m working on this year so far.

Robert: So what do you consider your best pitch?

Cam: Right now I’d say fastball. That can always change though. But yeah fastball.

Robert: Who’s your favorite baseball player? Could be anybody in the Minors or Majors.

Cam: Ummm…. I don’t know. There are a lot of good players…. I don’t know!

Robert: I put you on the spot! (We both laugh) So tell us a little about yourself? Where were you born? How’d you make your way into professional baseball? I know your dad played in the Majors.

Cam: Yeah, I was born in Atlanta, Georgia. Grew up about an hour South of Atlanta. Played baseball pretty much my whole life. Grew up in the locker room pretty much with my dad. Once he retired, he coached us and our high school team. I’ve been playing since I was a little kid. Once you get taught at such an early age and get taught the right mechanics and have someone looking out for you like that, it helped me a lot to get drafted and play.

Robert: If you had to point to one person who made a difference in your professional baseball career who would that be and why? Would that be your dad?

Cam: Yeah definitely probably my dad. He’s worked with me since I was a little kid. I remember being 5, 6, 7 years old going down to my batting cage and sitting on the mound going through the mechanics. We’d do it so many times I had it down flat by the time I was 10 years old and it paid off, it has definitely paid dividends. What I have today is from him.

Robert: If you had to pick a pitch or some aspect of your game that you really need to work on what do you think that would be?

Cam: Maybe holding base runners, I’ve gotten lot better with that this year. Also staying on the mound. That’s my biggest thing sometimes I’ll rush to the plate, getting the ball high or too low and not being on time. That’s the biggest thing just staying over the rubber.

Robert: Is it more about tempo or getting to the plate to fast?

Cam: Yeah, I used to throw from the wind-up and stretch but this year they wanted me to throw out of the stretch. So I was learning how to do that. Also I lowered my leg kick so it was a quicker time to the plate to help with the base running. I actually picked it up pretty easy and worked on it in Spring Training where I got good enough to pitch with it and since then, now, I pick it up so low I’m almost too quick to the plate. That’s one big point, mainly I’m focusing on staying over the rubber before I go to the plate.

Robert: So AngelsWin.com fans talk about you quite often and for good reason. You are throwing a lot of strikes… I think you are at a K/9 rate of about 16.0, right? So you’re doing really well. Do you attribute that high strikeout rate mainly to your fastball or is it the put-out pitches (slider/change-up)?

Cam: Right now it’s the fastball. Just working on getting ahead of guys and throwing it downhill. That’s a thing I’ve worked on is throwing it downhill this year. I think that’s really helped out a lot because when I throw downhill it has kind of a downward plane and last minute movement that opposing hitters have a difficult time reading (as it gets to the plate).

Robert: Is there anything you can think of that baseball fans don’t know about you that you’d like to maybe share with the Angels fans out there?

Cam: Hmm…. Nothing that I can think of…. (Pause) I like to duck hunt! I’m a big duck hunter.

Robert: Cool! Some people would like to know what kind of music do you listen to?

Cam: Everything. I like Country the best but I’ll listen to pretty much everything.

Robert: Cam thanks for your time and good luck! Hope you get called up soon!

Cam: Thanks!

I’d like to thank Cam for taking the time to sit down and speak with AngelsWin.com. He had good poise and I think it is only a matter of time before we see him in the Majors. There is not much, if any, left for him to prove in AA! Cam Bedrosian has struck out 39 batters over 18 2/3 innings, while opponents have hit just .085 against him. Bedrock's ERA is sitting at 0.96 and he's notched 6 saves across two levels (5 games in High-A and 12 in Double-A). 
_n2hCW-IIdg

View the full article

Great insight on why he's improved so much from last year to this season, Rob.

Cam: Yeah, I used to throw from the wind-up and stretch but this year they wanted me to throw out of the stretch. So I was learning how to do that. Also I lowered my leg kick so it was a quicker time to the plate to help with the base running. I actually picked it up pretty easy and worked on it in Spring Training where I got good enough to pitch with it and since then, now, I pick it up so low I’m almost too quick to the plate. That’s one big point, mainly I’m focusing on staying over the rubber before I go to the plate.

Robert: So AngelsWin.com fans talk about you quite often and for good reason. You are throwing a lot of strikes… I think you are at a K/9 rate of about 16.0, right? So you’re doing really well. Do you attribute that high strikeout rate mainly to your fastball or is it the put-out pitches (slider/change-up)?

Cam: Right now it’s the fastball. Just working on getting ahead of guys and throwing it downhill. That’s a thing I’ve worked on is throwing it downhill this year. I think that’s really helped out a lot because when I throw downhill it has kind of a downward plane and last minute movement that opposing hitters have a difficult time reading (as it gets to the plate).

I enjoyed talking to all of the prospects I interviewed. They were all bright and talented players.

Cam had a pretty good sense of humor and a pretty relaxed demeanor. I definitely think he has the poise and ability to close out games at the Major League level. Everything is about adjustments of course so when he gets there he'll have to continue to put in the hard work he has been exerting since he was a little kid.

Really wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in Anaheim!