• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Latest From AngelsWin.com: Erick Aybar Player Profile & Projections

Aybar.jpg

(Photo by Jeremy Long - jlongphoto.com)

By Robert Cunningham - AngelsWin.com Staff Writer

2013 Outlook: Just in this last week, manager Mike Scioscia declared that Aybar would start the season in the 2-hole in the batting order behind Trout and in front of Pujols. This is a reasonable choice as Erick is a switch-hitter with similar platoon splits vs. LH and RH pitchers. In addition to that, Aybar has been one of the best bunters (forget about the squeeze please!) in the game for the last handful of years and I could easily envision a scenario where Trout gets on base and Aybar moves him over on a continual basis. Quick 1st inning run scoring can really make a dramatic difference for our pitching staff by giving them a level of comfort that comes with grabbing that early lead.

The bunt is not Aybar's only weapon though! He is quite capable at making contact and the hit and run with Trout on base will be a very common occurrence during the season. Although Aybar has never sustained a high OBP over his career he has managed to get on at the league average rate combined with a high contact rate. Aybar is not unlike his "big brother" and mentor Big Daddy Vladdy, where he goes to the plate ready to swing.

Look for Aybar to be a dynamic role player in the Angels lineup while providing gold-glove caliber defense at the shortstop position. He is a clubhouse leader and provides some grit and energy that sometimes leads Erick into "too aggressive" base running mistakes but also, does, force the opposing players to make difficult plays that lead to errors and mistakes that the Angels should be able to take advantage of to win games.

aybarstat.pngiU_cqDoADm4

View the full article

I know Robert's projections are a bit conservative, but if Aybar can settle down a bit in the 2-hole, be a bit more selective, I think he can easily hit over .300 this season. 

The reason why I don't think his batting average will be significantly higher is because of the fact that he will be asked to move Trout over quite often. When players try harder to direct their bats that has a slight tendency towards more ground ball outs (for instance in a hit and run scenario). That is the main reason I think he'll hit closer to his career average.

You are correct that if he goes the other way and becomes more selective it could lead to a higher average, but Aybar tried that before (2011 I think it was) and it is just not in his nature to be patient at the plate. He really does swing at a high number of pitches.

The reason why I don't think his batting average will be significantly higher is because of the fact that he will be asked to move Trout over quite often. When players try harder to direct their bats that has a slight tendency towards more ground ball outs (for instance in a hit and run scenario). That is the main reason I think he'll hit closer to his career average.

You are correct that if he goes the other way and becomes more selective it could lead to a higher average, but Aybar tried that before (2011 I think it was) and it is just not in his nature to be patient at the plate. He really does swing at a high number of pitches.

The thing that's frustrating about that is that Trout doesn't really need to be moved over that much.  He can do it on his own.

If he bats second all year, I think he will have well over 69-79 runs scored. I hope he doesn't wait until halfway through the season to heat up, like last year. He could have a career year, if he starts hot and stays hot. It's a shame he doesn't walk more often; he would be a much more consistent offensive force.

I'm hoping for career years for Aybar, Kendrick, and Callaspo.