• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

De La Rosa Update

nate

I really believe they are holding Alvarez and Bedrock back until they know if it realistic if DDR and Burnett can help them this year. With a set back for DDR, I am willing to bet they look to moving one of them up.

They need to move on from DDLR and Burnett now. If they end up showing their healthy then fine, but let's not waste another minute to get the two best relief pitching prospects in the game up here. STAT

They need to move on from DDLR and Burnett now. If they end up showing their healthy them fine, but let's not waste another minute to get the two best relief pitching prospects in the game up here. STAT

The issue maybe with the 40 man roster.  DDLR and Burnett have been on the 40 man roster.  The other two hasn't...if I am not mistaken.  Isn't there an advantage by waiting to put them on the 40 man?

The issue maybe with the 40 man roster.  DDLR and Burnett have been on the 40 man roster.  The other two hasn't...if I am not mistaken.  Isn't there an advantage by waiting to put them on the 40 man?

I think this is pretty much it.  Bedrock and Alvarez both have to be added and 2 others have to be removed - either by waivers or 60 day DL stints.

They need to move on from DDLR and Burnett now. If they end up showing their healthy them fine, but let's not waste another minute to get the two best relief pitching prospects in the game up here. STAT

Wow, take the homer glasses off, Chuck.  Two best relief prospects in the game?  Not even sure they are in the top 10.

Well, how does one compare minor league relievers? You can't compare relievers based solely on prospect rankings lists and scouting reports (how often do you see a reliever in a top 50 or 100 list, anyway?). Since that wouldn't necessarily show who the best and most effective relievers are. And whether they're ready to be effective in the majors.

When it comes to minor league relievers I look at results mainly (with context) and also stuff and skillset as well. You don't need to throw hard or have swing and miss stuff or even have amazing control to be really effective (Joe Smith, for example). And relievers can be effective in many ways different ways...like depending on how they're utilized.

Bedrosian and Alvarez have had amazing results so far this year (and they have excellent stuff). So is there really a right or wrong answer in calling them the best relievers in the minor leagues at the moment?

Edited by Angels

Well, how does one compare minor league relievers? You can't compare relievers based solely on prospect rankings lists and scouting reports (how often do you see a reliever in a top 50 or 100 list, anyway?). Since that wouldn't necessarily show who the best and most effective relievers are. And whether they're ready to be effective in the majors.

When it comes to minor league relievers I look at results mainly (with context) and also stuff and skillset as well. You don't need to throw hard or have swing and miss stuff or even have amazing control to be really effective (Joe Smith, for example). And relievers can be effective in many ways different ways...like depending on how they're utilized.

Bedrosian and Alvarez have had amazing results so far this year (and they have excellent stuff). So is there really a right or wrong answer in calling them the best relievers in the minor leagues at the moment?

Wait, you were the one criticizing Skaggs for not focusing on being a strike out pitcher. Yet as it relates to being a relief pitcher you say it doesn't matter if he has swing and miss stuff? I would say that's when and where you need to have a high K rate (insert joke about how Trout would be a good reliever because of his high K rate here). Edited by Stradling

Not true regarding Skaggs. And you are definitely misinterpreting and/or misreading my post you quoted.

I said Skaggs shouldn't abandon the pursuit of strikeouts in an attempt to primarily be a contact pitcher. There can be a middle ground. Because I believe he has the ability to get a lot of strikeouts. Richards made a point about wanting to be more of a strikeout pitcher this year (he used to pitch to contact per his words) and the results pretty much speak for themselves. I would like to see Skaggs go for the K more often. But at least he has pitched to contact the right way, so no complaints regarding his results. And like Richards did, I am hoping he goes more for the K with more experience and as he learns to trust his stuff.

And I didn't say it doesn't matter. I said it's not a mandatory requirement to be an effective pitcher. Joe Smith sure doesn't rely on overpowering swing and miss type stuff or even good control to be successful. What he has is movement on his pitches and he keeps the ball down and generates a huge amount of grounders. Just an example.

Edited by Angels

Not true regarding Skaggs. And you are definitely misinterpreting and/or misreading my post you quoted.

I said Skaggs shouldn't abandon the pursuit of strikeouts in an attempt to primarily be a contact pitcher. There can be a middle ground. Because I believe he has the ability to get a lot of strikeouts. Richards made a point about wanting to be more of a strikeout pitcher this year (he used to pitch to contact per his words) and the results pretty much speak for themselves. I would like to see Skaggs go for the K more often. But at least he has pitched to contact the right way, so no complaints regarding his results. And like Richards did, I am hoping he goes more for the K with more experience and as he learns to trust his stuff.

And I didn't say it doesn't matter. I said it's not a mandatory requirement to be an effective pitcher. Joe Smith sure doesn't rely on overpowering swing and miss type stuff or even good control to be successful. What he has is movement on his pitches and he keeps the ball down and generates a huge amount of grounders. Just an example.

Ok, I guess I misremembered. It just struck me as odd that you would have a different opinion especially when I think it is a backwards opinion. What I will agree with you on is if you are an extreme ground ball pitcher with great control then it doesn't matter if you strike out many if you come out of the pen. However if you are a fly ball pitcher and don't strike out a lot, you will have mixed results in the pen. I still don't think Skaggs or Richards should shy away from pitching to contact early in the game to get quick outs and go deeper into the game. Like you said, they both have great stuff and just have to miss the good part of the bat.

Well, Skaggs doesn't have to be a strikeout pitcher to be effective, either. I mean he has been solid thus far. Zero complaints about the results. However, I believe he has potential to be a lot more than he has shown so far. Just like I believed that to be the case with Richards before this season. Richards is pitching like a legit number 1. And I think that with a different approach and mindset that Skaggs can reach a very high level.

Well, Skaggs doesn't have to be a strikeout pitcher to be effective, either. I mean he has been solid thus far. Zero complaints about the results. However, I believe he has potential to be a lot more than he has shown so far. Just like I believed that to be the case with Richards before this season. Richards is pitching like a legit number 1. And I think that with a different approach and mindset that Skaggs can reach a very high level.

I agree, I just think we have a different opinion on what their approach should be and that's fine, we all have opinions, mine just happens to be the bestest.

I usually disagree with national writers as talent evaluators, but I've spoken with Ken Rosenthal & Buster Olney about Bedorsian and Alvarez and both agree those two relievers are the real deal.  If you needed any more convincing, Sam Miller has mentioned both Alvarez and Bedrock multiple times this season over at Baseball Prospectus.  If you want to, you can also take my word for it, those two are as good as it gets when it comes to relievers projecting as relievers (instead of starters transitioning to the pen).  If you aren't willing to believe Rosenthal, Olney, Miller or myself, believe your own AW prospect writers.  

If you're unwilling to believe Rosenthal, Olney, Miller, myself or the AW writers, then you're just being difficult.