• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Shoemaker

On the road against a pretty good offense, Matt kept us in the game. Still scratching my head as to why Scioscia pulled him early having thrown just 57 pitches. 

Anyhow, in two major league starts Shoemaker has allowed just two runs (one questionable tonight) over 10 innings and fanned 8. I love how he throws strikes and his splitter is a legit out pitch in the big leagues. 

Next time I hope Scioscia allows him to pitch past the 5th inning. He's got a durable arm with length. Save the bullpen Sosh, this kid can pitch. 

On the road against a pretty good offense, Matt kept us in the game. Still scratching my head as to why Scioscia pulled him early having thrown just 57 pitches. 

Anyhow, in two major league starts Shoemaker has allowed just two runs (one questionable tonight) over 10 innings and fanned 8. I love how he throws strikes and his splitter is a legit out pitch in the big leagues. 

Next time I hope Scioscia allows him to pitch past the 5th inning. He's got a durable arm with length. Save the bullpen Sosh, this kid can pitch. 

Damn straight, Chuck. Well said. This kid has impressed me, and I am of the opinion that the 5th spot is his right now. Absolutely he should have pitched deeper. We are in a stretch of games where saving the bp is of importance. One of those runs could have been prevented with a better defensive play (we won, though, so that is all good). He has composure, he never got rattled and made some big pitches, he is smart. Now Santiago can fill a very needed and vital role as the long man out of the pen. The rotation spot is Shoe's to lose, and I bet he doesn't.

Sure wish he'd been allowed to go deeper into the game, but I'll take it.  It's like Scioscia forgot he was already stretched out or something.

I agree with this tweet from Fletcher during the game. I thought it was right to be safe/conservative in his first start of the season.

@JeffFletcherOCR: Matt Shoemaker done after 5IP, Allowed 2R. Guessing Scioscia didn't want to press him 3rd time through heart of order. Kohn in. #Angels

Shoe had only thrown 22 pitches in three innings but the 4th they entire Philles lineup seemed like they all were locked into whatever he was offering. Better to be pulled early than another go around and get chewed up again. The bullpen did a pretty nice job only allowing one run in the last four innings. You can't ask for much more, only 3 runs allowed in 9 should win you most games.

If we make the common sense moves and put the right personnel in place, the Angels could absorb 5 inning performances from Shoe as long as it puts them in a position to win. Could you picture it? Kohn/Bedrosian/Alvarez/Morin for the 6th and the 7th, Smith in the 8th and Frieri in the 9th?

This team would actually have an embarrassment of riches if DDLR and Burnett came back and returned to form. At that point they could just gave the starter go once through the order and play the odds with a lineup like Alvarez in the 4th, DDLR in the 5th, Morin in the 6th, Kohn in the 7th, Smith 8th and Frieri closing it out,

If we make the common sense moves and put the right personnel in place, the Angels could absorb 5 inning performances from Shoe as long as it puts them in a position to win. Could you picture it? Kohn/Bedrosian/Alvarez/Morin for the 6th and the 7th, Smith in the 8th and Frieri in the 9th?

This team would actually have an embarrassment of riches if DDLR and Burnett came back and returned to form. At that point they could just gave the starter go once through the order and play the odds with a lineup like Alvarez in the 4th, DDLR in the 5th, Morin in the 6th, Kohn in the 7th, Smith 8th and Frieri closing it out,

What I like is that they could have an embarrassment of riches even if those two never get back.   My biggest fear -- DDLR and Burnett DO make it back and the team trades either of Alvarez or Bedrock  in some package to try to improve the 5th spot of the rotation.

That would suck.   A part of me would be fine with those two never being 100%

Edited by Inside Pitch

What I like is that they could have an embarrassment of riches even if those two never get back.   My biggest fear -- DDLR and Burnett DO make it back and the team trades either of Alvarez or Bedrock  in some package to try to improve the 5th spot of the rotation.

That would suck.   A part of me would be fine with those two never being 100%

This right here. Agree 110%.

I don't think that'd ever happen IP. It would be incredibly short sighted. Dipoto's bullpen construction theory is based off the idea of growing your own bullpen arms because their shelf life is so short and there are so many different ways to be an effective reliever. Sure, he's taken a shot here and there on FA, like Madson and Smith, but for the most part we've seen him trade and use the farm system to fill this role.

Given this team's recent struggles in the past few years at holding the lead, I don't think Dipoto would trade Alvarez or Bedrock because they along with Morin are vital to this teams success this year and next.