• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's slump in perspective

Stan Musial in 1947, a batting average of .202 for the first 44 games of the season.

Derek Jeter began 2004 with a horrible slump, at one point going 0-for-32.

Robin Ventura had a stretch of 0-41 in his rookie year, and he turned out pretty well.

Luis Aparicio, Hall of Famer, had a streak of 0-44 in 1971.

Willie Mays started his career 1-25.

Ted Williams, a .344 career hitter, in 1959 (through June 9th)  .170/.296/.250

Mike Schmidt in 1985, first 37 games, .189/.297/.328

Reggie Jackson in 1983 hit .194 for the entire year, including a streak of 0-35.

Mike's slump is nothing to be concerned about. He'll come out of it soon enough.

Edited by fan_since79

His problem has been with the fastball.  He's only batting .205 against fastballs this season.  He's also been fouling off a lot fastballs that look like they're right in his wheelhouse, so it's probably just a timing thing.  But like Langston said the other night, they'll keep challenging him with that fastball until he starts to hit them.

His problem has been with the fastball.  He's only batting .205 against fastballs this season.  He's also been fouling off a lot fastballs that look like they're right in his wheelhouse, so it's probably just a timing thing.  But like Langston said the other night, they'll keep challenging him with that fastball until he starts to hit them.

More specifically, he can't hit high fastballs.  I mentioned this in the other long Trout Strikeout thread last week but he has literally never had a base hit on a ball just above the zone in his entire career.  And even on high pitches in the zone he is quite mortal (hitting .200ish).  He absolutely destroys low pitches, however, and I think pitchers have now realized this and are attacking him accordingly.

I don't think anyone is worried about his inability to hit lately. The worry is his inability to make contact (particularly in the zone) + his strikeout rate. And the kind of effect it will have on his overall numbers.

It should be noted that he's hitting .273 with a .350 BABIP. And while I have no doubt that he can maintain at least .350, it just goes to show how much he depends on it. And any extended slump (with his current strikeout rate) can make his numbers come crashing down hard.

I said it in another thread. Trout needs to stop swinging for the fences every AB. He isn't going to lead the league in HR's. He needs to shorten his swing and go for the base knock when he falls behind the count. He'll even bunt for a hit occasionally.

Why are we trying to compare Trout's slump to HOF players?

I think the book on him is catching up with him. He'll need to adjust and maybe start swinging at first pitch strikes. The kid has a text book swing.

It's not as much of a comparison as it simply shows even the best have prolonged slumps. So no matter how high of a pedestal somebody puts Trout on, this isn't anything unexpected.

it's probably good news that it's the fastball he's been having trouble with. I can't imagine he forgot how to hit a fastball.  As others have pointed out, it's most likely a case of trying to do too much with the fastballs over the plate, rather than just knocking them for base hits, which is what he's done in the past. I have little doubt he'll make the adjustment soon and get that AVG back up over .300.