• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Shoemaker starts on Tuesday vs. the Phillies

Chuck

Here's some highlights of his first and only start last season vs. the Mariners, in case you missed that one. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=vtp_head_and_shoulders&content_id=30795659

Very good splitter that's a swing and miss pitch, good breaking ball and a 91-94 MPH fastball that he can cut also at 89-91. 

GO Shoemaker! 

I'm okay with him as a stop gap till the Angels find a more suitable long-term option for the rotation. 

I think he's a perfect 5th starter for the Angels. But time will tell. 

Love having Santiago in the bullpen for both short late inning stops and long relief. 

I think he's a perfect 5th starter for the Angels. But time will tell. 

Love having Santiago in the bullpen for both short late inning stops and long relief.

Absolutely,Chuck. I hope he makes the best of it and solidifies the 5th spot. That will negate any need to make trades. Santiago can fill a vital need that our team has by being the long relief man.

Chuck I am with you on this, but, the team is better if Santiago can be effective as a starter. He simply has better stuff and has more upside.

Shoemaker has what it takes to pitch out of the back end of a rotation. (Good fastball, Great Splitter, Good Breaking Ball). But yeah, Santiago has dynamic stuff, the problem is, if he cannot command us and he taxes our bullpen in 75% of his starts, it may be best to have him out of the bullpen where he can help the team win ball games. 

He is susceptible to the long ball also, like Santana was. Lackey was also susceptible to it early on, giving up 31 in 2003. So that would be correct.

Lackey did blossom in 2005-2007 (collective 3.32 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 14.3 WAR in a hitting era) and made all 99 of his scheduled starts then.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm not saying the Angels are going to shove Santiago back in the rotation regardless of how everyone performs. I'm saying I think the performances will dictate that they are better off with Santiago in the rotation and Shoemaker as the long man.

By the way, the game Saturday illustrated why you need a long man. The Blue Jays starter got knocked out in the 4th but then they brought in someone who pitched 3-4 innings and held it there and they had a chance to win and still had a fresh bullpen.

The Angels haven't had anyone who can go more than 2, until Santiago went back there. So once Shoemaker comes up, they'll at least have a choice of Santiago/Shoemaker, one as the 5 starter and one as the long man.

On another note....

I'm curious why so many Angels fans were crushed that Garrett Richards had the plug pulled on him as a starter, even though he had no track record of consistent big league success, but so many were so ready to yank Santiago, even though he's been a solid mid rotation starter for 35+ big league starts. Yes, I get that Richards raw stuff is better than Santiago's but they had a lot of the same issues. Poise on the mound, lack of command. Santiago has the stuff to be a major league starter. I know so because he's done it.

idk...i'm gonna say, i think satniagos stats look worse then he has been pitching. going to the game by game...

first game: 1 run through 5, pulled in the 6th for salas to give up 3 inherited runs.
second game: 4 runs through 4.1 innings. not a great outing.

third game: 1 run through 7 innings

fourth game: 0 runs through 5.2 innings.

fifth game: 4 runs, 4.1 innings

sixth game: 2 runs through 6, lets two on without recording an out in the top of the 7th, and jeppy lets the both score.

seventh game: blow up game, 2 runs in 2.1 innings (and looked horrible, with another 4 uncounted runs)

no, he's not amazing, but i think he has been slightly disproportionately hurt by a manager oblivious of how tired a pitcher is and a bullpin which is pitching like it has a vendetta against their starters. yes, he should be going later, and yes, inherited runs are still largely his fault, but imo that is a lot better than an era of 5.19 and an 0-6 record indicates. he does have a pretty brutal whip, and thats kinda inexcusable. larger point being, hoping the bullpin will get his head back on straight, and him and shoemaker will compete for that last rotation position.

I'm curious why so many Angels fans were crushed that Garrett Richards had the plug pulled on him as a starter, even though he had no track record of consistent big league success, but so many were so ready to yank Santiago, even though he's been a solid mid rotation starter for 35+ big league starts. Yes, I get that Richards raw stuff is better than Santiago's but they had a lot of the same issues. Poise on the mound, lack of command. Santiago has the stuff to be a major league starter. I know so because he's done it.

Because Richards had over 60 games started in the minors compared to Santiago's 20 something starts.