• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

For those wondering what Troy Percival is up to these days

http://www.pe.com/sports/high-school/hsg-schools/hsg-headlines/20140510-baseball-percival-sparks-turnaround-at-alma-mater.ece#

For those that don't know much about the IE, Moreno Valley schools are among the poorest in the state. My girlfriend actually used to be an SLP at MVHS and she told me all kinds of horror stories about there being holes in walls, desks tagged with gang signs, kids with ankle bracelets, etc.

Moreno Valley turned to shit when March Air Force Base closed down. 

Everyone in the reserves and in the Air Force bought houses to be close to work. After it was shut down within just a few months everyone had moved on to another AFB or got a job at Boeing or LAX. 

All the riftraff moved in, including gangs from Riverside and Los Angeles. 

When did March AFB close down? I used to work in moval. Lots of robberies, gang violence. Not in the newer areas, but it was there. I remember a girl got killed at an ATM withdrawing money.

It's not totally closed.  It's not an active base but there's still military personnel there.  They sure as hell don't live in Mo Val though.  

My wife is a probation officer there.  It's all just Los Angeles transplants.  San Bernardino is the same way but worse.  

I am impressed with the generosity he has shown toward his alma mater. These kids have hope now. This statement was both heartbreaking and encouraging - thinking about the mindset of these kids a year ago and now:

“I don’t know what to think of it, because we’ve never been in this situation,” Rodriguez said. “It’s a new feeling to embrace, knowing that we can be up there with teams we’ve always looked at and been like, ‘Why are we even playing with them?’”

One statement about Percy's commitment stood out:

He personally built new bullpen mounds and brought a state-of-the-art batting cage from his home to the school.

He had a state of the art batting cage at his house?

Great to see Percy doing this. This situation reminds me of my own high school in Florida, as the neighborhood around the school has severely declined over the years and the school struggles both athletically and academically. About three years ago the school was rated dead last in the state in academic achievement. I do what I can to help.

It's not totally closed.  It's not an active base but there's still military personnel there.  They sure as hell don't live in Mo Val though.  

My wife is a probation officer there.  It's all just Los Angeles transplants.  San Bernardino is the same way but worse.  

Oh I know, my brother in law works there too. But it stopped being a true Air Force Base about 20 years ago. Shortly thereafter, Moreno Valley went to shit. 

I know, I used to live in Orangecrest (Riverside) and my step dad was in the Air Force Reserves.