• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm and Idoit

NrM

I was talking about the actual title. You really are and idoit. That's French, right?

It's just an old message board thing that dates back like 6-8 years when a specific poster was around who would call people an idiot, but completely misspell everything.

Edited by Poozy

Great defensive shortstops usually start at some point, even if their offense is lacking.   Early in his career, Ozzie Smith was that guy.  Gary DiSarcina started for quite a while and he was no Ozzie Smith, defensively.  Brendan Ryan had a nice run as a starter despite his struggles at the plate.  

John McDonald never had a lengthy run as a starter.  If he was a great defender (great compared to his peers, not to you and I), he would have.  I'll go out on a limb and say his defense has declined.... he is 39.  Saying he is great, now, is a reach.  Granted, he isn't Robb Quinlan, who was capable of wearing a glove at different positions, but below average at all of them.  He is not great, though.   He isn't even Andrew Romine.  

Great defensive shortstops usually start at some point, even if their offense is lacking.   Early in his career, Ozzie Smith was that guy.  Gary DiSarcina started for quite a while and he was no Ozzie Smith, defensively.  Brendan Ryan had a nice run as a starter despite his struggles at the plate.  

John McDonald never had a lengthy run as a starter.  If he was a great defender (great compared to his peers, not to you and I), he would have.  I'll go out on a limb and say his defense has declined.... he is 39.  Saying he is great, now, is a reach.  Granted, he isn't Robb Quinlan, who was capable of wearing a glove at different positions, but below average at all of them.  He is not great, though.   He isn't even Andrew Romine.  

I am pretty sure that teams didn't value defense as much during the steroid era and you are assuming that the team execs were competent. Maybe he is overrated, I never watched him on a regular basis but he always seemed outstanding with the glove.

I never did either, and I think defense difficult to judge and measure, but I think people throw around the term "great" too often.  His playing time doesn't support the theory.  His age doesn't support it.  Defensive metrics don't support it.  Omar Vizquel wasn't great at the very end of his career, either.

If he is great, Andrew Romine is better than great and Erick Aybar is, what, amazing?