• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Troy Tulo is better than Trout.

Tulowitzki is the best player in baseball at the moment. It's not hard to see that. But he's also on pace for the highest fWAR in MLB history. That's not going to continue.

I have no problem calling Tulo one of the best players in baseball and someone who is capable of having the best season in any given year if things go right. But THE best, period? Please.

He never even had a 6-fWAR season (5.9 being the highest).

Edited by Angels

He's definitely a top 5 player and has been better than trout 6 weeks into the season.

The Coors effect is real though. It turns average players into stars.

Anyone remember the former star player Carlos Gonzalez?  Well he's playing for Oakland now with a .634 OPS

Edited by Poozy

He's definitely a top 5 player and has been better than trout 6 weeks into the season.

Anyone remember the former star player Carlos Gonzalez?  Well he's playing for Oakland now with a .634 OPS

Huh? Gonzalez had a .634 OPS in his rookie season with Oakland. He's still playing for the Rockies and has a .820 OPS this season.

Huh? Gonzalez had a .634 OPS in his rookie season with Oakland. He's still playing for the Rockies and has a .820 OPS this season.

Good call. Apparently I was reading it backwards lol..

Anyways, you'll basically never find a decent player with the same or better Road split.

Good call. Apparently I was reading it backwards lol..

Anyways, you'll basically never find a decent player with the same or better Road split.

I'm sure on the road he's more like the player he was in Oakland.  ;)

This season he pretty clearly is the best player.

He is playing out of his shoes but he has done that before and then gets hurt. He just happened to start this year on fire and without injury so it stands out. If he was not injury prone he would have a few MVP titles by now. I love Tulo but don't think he will make it to the all-star break without a DL stint and then cool off upon his return.

Tulo has an OPS this year at Coors field of 1.775 and away OPS of .881. Yes I think the Coors effect helps him a bit.

Isn't it kind of scary that Trout is still on pace to finish with 12 WAR despite the fact that he has looked like a mere mortal these last few weeks or so?

Ok sure a lot of his value comes from a defensive rating that's nearly impossible to keep up. But it still counts. And even if you reduced his current UZR by like 75% he would still be on pace to finish around 9 WAR.

so basically, the author's argument is that Tulo's value as a SS is so much further from other SS's and Trout's value is as a CFer isn't that much greater than other OFers?  Interesting theory. 

You don't get extra wins if your guy is extra better than the next closest guy at that position.  It doesn't make Tulo the best in the game yet perhaps the most difficult to replace in terms of overall value.  Maybe. 

Actually, not really if you look at more than just what the two players have done this year.  If you look at cumulative WAR, wRC+ from the accumulated years of their careers, Tulo isn't even the best at his position since he's been in the league.  (Hanley Ramirez is). 

I think someone should also remind the author that Trout is 22.  Tulo had a decent 21 yo season.  In the minors.  His first year in the majors at age 22 was very good with a 5.2 fWAR.

As an aside, the author also made a comment about Trout being a sabermetric darling and that he is the best player in baseball in theory.  Here is my soapbox about that.  

People rip on WAR as if it's just some hodgepodge conglomerate alphabet soup of metrics thrown together in an attempt to be a comprehensive view of what a player may contribute to his team.  And while I acknowledge that it has it's problems (in particular for pitchers and perhaps more so for relievers), it's not just a pile of random stuff.  It was backed out from all of the things that correlate to actual wins on the field.  There is a statically significant correlation between the accumulated WAR of all the players on a team, and how many wins that team had.  Of course it's better for runs because of sequencing so it will never be perfect. 

Trout has brought and/or saved more runs to his team than any player in baseball over the last two seasons.  More than any player at his position relative to other players over other positions.  He's the best player in baseball on paper and on the field and it's not even close.