• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hector Santiago demoted to bullpen

While I think this is probably a good move at this point, I still contend that much of what has gone wrong with Santiago this year is on the shoulders of the coaching staff and perhaps the catchers to a lesser degree.

I agree -- neither of our catchers are of much help to our pitchers.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'll add that I think this is about Santiago's head more than anything.

I mentioned in my story the dropped 3rd strike in Seattle, the balk in NY, but there's also the pitch selection against Texas (they had to explain to him that he can't throw a pitch he's not committed to) and handling the dropped fly ball the other night.

Basically, he has very good raw stuff (the walks are part if it, not really fixable) but he loses his concentration or makes bad decisions too much. I think they want him to sit and think about things for a bit and come back with a new mindset.

I say he's back in the rotation within 3 weeks tops. They won't go more than 3 turns with Shoemaker/LeBlanc/whoever.

He's been a pretty good starter (in a hitters park) over most of two years, so the stuff is there.

I'm still rooting for Hec!  He's a quality guy, and will be back to form.

He's gotta work on the walks, and have more of a plan dealing with hitters and situations.  Anyone with a decent fastball, off-speed pitch, and location/timing, can be successful (*see Weaver).  I didn't think Hec was getting a lot of run support in his starts, but maybe I'm just biased for him.