• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hector Santiago demoted to bullpen

Probably Matt Shoemaker who I wanted as our 5th starter going into the season before and after the Trumbo trade (Santiago as a reliever).

Looked great in his last start. 7 IP, 2 ER, 11 K's.

So who is our 5th starter now?

Evicting Jerome Williams looks like an even more curious decision.

At the time I didn't get letting Jerome go. He wasn't expensive so not a lot of risk even if he didn't pan out.  I know he hasn't done particularly well for the Astros so far this year but he's still likely better than the gas can pitchers giving up 16 run leads down in the minors.  

So who is our 5th starter now?

Evicting Jerome Williams looks like an even more curious decision.

Pretty sure Shoemaker can do the same thing as him, if not a better job. Jerome has a 6.00 ERA and 5.51 FIP this year, last year it was a 4.57 ERA and 4.6 FIP. 

Saw Williams pitching mop up in some Houston game on TV the other day..........Houston not a great ballpark for pitchers.  Houston team not a great line up behind the pitcher  either.

Shoemaker may get a chance to make some starts before Halos made a pre-deadline/ deadline deal.

That was a smart move.  Without looking into statistics, it seemed to me that Santiago became less effective after 4 innings (or anywhere above 50-60 pitches).  Whether he tired, hitters adjusted to him, or a combination of both keeping him in the bullpen for the remainder of the season is a wise move.  See if he can build endurance and give him another shot next season.

Good. Like Chuck, I've been wanting to see Shoemaker given a chance - I think he's one of those pitchers that might do better in a park like Anaheim than in Salt Lake. I don't see him as a star, but he could be a solid 4.00 ERA type. If he can have an ERA in the mid-4.00s this year that would be helpful.

I was surprised by this but the Halos better not think they'll be able to get away with Shoemaker/Alvarez/LeBlanc in the rotation. They'll have to acquire someone if Santiago is in the pen for good.

It all depends on how those minor league BP arms pan out IMO. If they do well in the show then Dipoto will probably trade for a starter. If not, I think the bullpen is what needs to be strengthened for a chance at the playoffs.

On a side note, if anyone in this rotation has an extended trip to DL this team is in deep poop.

While I think this is probably a good move at this point, I still contend that much of what has gone wrong with Santiago this year is on the shoulders of the coaching staff and perhaps the catchers to a lesser degree.

He's been fastball heavy and getting burned on the fastball.  I get what they are trying to do, but it's not working.  Walks like a duck, talks like a duck.........

He was successful last year nibbling around the strike zone with his 7 pitches and going 5-6ip giving up 2-3er.  They tried to get him to use the fastball more to get him deeper into games.  It was worth a shot, but they should let him go back to how he was. 

I like Shoemaker.  He deserves a shot.  He's gonna have games where he get's absolutely blown up, but by and large, he's gonna keep the team in the game. 

As an aside, with hector becoming the lefty out of the pen, I am wondering if they should stretch Maronde back out to be a starter.  Since his transition to the pen, his mechanics have been a wreck.  Maybe they can unbreak the egg.