• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sick of Trout Striking Out Looking

Anyone else more than mildly worried about his strikeouts? Especially looking.  I know I'm going to get crucified for this and I know this topic has already been mentioned but it's something that's getting pointed out on twitter more and more by our beat writers and I think it needs addressing as a potential issue, even if it's only been a month.  I don't know if it's a product of him trying too hard to get on base for Pujols? Think it may be the same reason his steals are down in that he's just trying to do too much to please Pujols.  He only has four.  That's pretty pathetic for him.  On pace for 22? Especially after he talked all offseason about stealing more. 

Right now he's fourth in baseball in K's with 38.  I know many will point to his average being above .300 and say don't worry about it, but I think a lot of that average is a product of his currently unsustainable BABIP of .411.  

Consider me mildly worried.  I hope this is one of those threads that gets resurrected after he barely strikes out at all the rest of the season.   

Didn't he strike out a ton in the first month or so last year?

His K rate improved mid season but then shot back up in the latter third, and is even worse this year.  

Mar/Apr:        19.8%

May:              19.7%

June:              11%

July:               17.1%

Aug:               21.8%

Sept/Oct:       24.8%

This year so far he's at 28.4%

Hard to be worried about much with Trout, but it's something to be watched.

Mildly worried, but only just barely. Trout seems to take awhile to adjust each season, and then he gets hot sometime in May. He's been walking more of late so maybe this is just him re-calibrating to the strike zone. Once he does, the strikeouts will go down. He's started better than either of his previous two years so if and when he gets hot he's going to put up ungodly numbers.

The strikeouts. Was I not clear?

Yes, I'm not retarded.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling or doing your look for a negative routine. He's hitting better than the two previous years and you're worried about him and coming up with something as stupid as being intimidated by Pujols.

I've never seen someone worry about a hitter like Trout. Based on the way Trout talks about war and stats in interviews tells me he grasps the math and playing percentages. He waits for his pitch, again, what's the big deal? When he's hitting .200 with that many k's in his ratio then we can dissect his play.

Lack of steals??  I think that can partially be attributed to the fact our line up is better than last year's line up..........could be one explanation..........and he's hitting doubles.......no need to get thrown out at third when you've got some pretty good folks coming up...........

I've never seen someone worry about a hitter like Trout. Based on the way Trout talks about war and stats in interviews tells me he grasps the math and playing percentages. He waits for his pitch, again, what's the big deal? When he's hitting .200 with that many k's in his ratio then we can dissect his play.

Just because Trout is ridiculously good doesn't mean we should ignore any sort of alarming trends though.  

There's a particular part of the strikezone Trout has trouble with, and I'm sure opposing pitchers have noticed:  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile.php?player=545361&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=month&minmax=ci&var=whiff&s_type=2&startDate=03/31/2013&endDate=05/04/2014&balls=-1&strikes=-1&b_hand=-1

Comparison to Pujols, who has a very low K rate:  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile.php?player=405395&time=month&minmax=ci&var=whiff&s_type=2&endDate=05/04/2014&startDate=03/31/2006

Yes, I'm not retarded.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling or doing your look for a negative routine. He's hitting better than the two previous years and you're worried about him and coming up with something as stupid as being intimidated by Pujols.

Trolling? Look for a negative routine? Pointing out his strikeout rate is up and being concerned about it is hardly that.  As I said, even the normally mild beat writers have been pointing it out. Are they also trolling? 

Somehow you come off as the most ornery, pissed off poster, on this board even though while you're doing it you're calling others negative and trolls.    

I wasn't even trying to be negative.  I love Trout.  Which is why it concerns me to see him strikeout so much, especially looking.  I was mainly joking about being intimidated by Pujols, but I do think that's the reason he's not running as much. 

Lack of steals??  I think that can partially be attributed to the fact our line up is better than last year's line up..........could be one explanation..........and he's hitting doubles.......no need to get thrown out at third when you've got some pretty good folks coming up...........

Oh c'mon.  Trout's stolen a ton of a bases the last two years with very similar lineups.  This year's lineup features the likes of many players hitting under .200.  That's an excuse if I've ever heard one.  

Now I would agree if you're saying that Pujols is better than he's ever been.  I think it's as simple as that.  Trout doesn't want to run with Pujols up because Pujols is locked in.  Which is fine.  But at the same time maybe it's an argument to not hit Trout immediately in front of Pujols so Trout can run more without the worry of distracting Pujols or whatever it is. 

Just because Trout is ridiculously good doesn't mean we should ignore any sort of alarming trends though.  

There's a particular part of the strikezone Trout has trouble with, and I'm sure opposing pitchers have noticed:  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile.php?player=545361&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=month&minmax=ci&var=whiff&s_type=2&startDate=03/31/2013&endDate=05/04/2014&balls=-1&strikes=-1&b_hand=-1

Comparison to Pujols, who has a very low K rate:  http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_profile.php?player=405395&time=month&minmax=ci&var=whiff&s_type=2&endDate=05/04/2014&startDate=03/31/2006

Exactly.  It's the same shit people were saying the other night about the lineup with Shuck in it and Ibanez hitting cleanup: "Well I don't like it, but we've been winning with it lately so why mess with it?" 

Because there's always room to improve.  The if it's not broke don't fix it mantra works for people who aspire to be marginally successful.  

I'm sure Trout would be the first one to tell you he's concerned about his strikeouts.  Just because Trout is a hitter of his caliber is he not supposed to still get advice from his coaches? Or adjust to improve?