• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top 10 Angel closers

Troy Percival

K-Rod

Brian Harvey

Bob Lee

Ken Tatum

Mark Clear

Donnie Moore

Minnie Rojas

Lee Smith

Ernesto Frieri

I omitted the first great closer for the franchise, Bob Lee. His 1964-1966 stats clearly put him behind only three guys in franchise history.

I also forgot Minnie Rojas, who helped to key the 1967 contention year and was solid in 1966-1967.

Ken Tatem held the franchise seasonal ERA record for over 4 decades (1.35 in 1969). If not for a faithful day in 1970 when he accidentally beaned Paul Blair, he may have been right there ultimately with Percy, K-Rod, and Harvey.

He admitted himself he was never the same after that.

Edited by Angel Oracle

It is kind of hard to ignore Percy as the all time Angels saves leader with over 300 saves as a Angel.

I think I would vote for something like this...

1. PERCY - All time saves leader for the Angels.

2. K-Rod - Second most saves as a Angel.

3. Harvey - Loved Harvey but  he left us for the Marlins.

4. Lee - Our first big time closer.

5. Moore - Between Moore and Adenhart we have had our share of tragedy with our pitchers

6. Smith - We got him on the downside of his career , But he was still pretty good.

7. Scot Shields - He was never a true closer but did close games for us when the closer could not go. Best set up man to ever  wear a Angel uniform.

8. Frieri - When he is on he does well... When he is not we blow huge games. Like Mark Clear he has major control problems.

9. Clear - Had his control issues but was first pitcher to get 100 K's without a start. Mostly a set up man and occasional closer like Shields.

10. Walden - We have had some great closers who hung around for quite a while so from here on down it is a toss up...

Edited by Halofan

Fuentes shouldn't even be on that list you ------ 

Mod Edit - this is the 2nd time you've been warned for namecalling. Either follow the rules or enjoy a vacation. 

Edited by Lou

I don't think Walden being on some of the lists or even Fuentes being on some of the lists is a sign that we had some pretty bad closers. In fact I think it is quite the opposite. It is because of guys like Percy, K - Rod and Harvey that were so dominate for so long for us. That you have to dig for so long to find 10 closers for us. Remember we are an expansion team and have only been in the league since what 1962? I believe until recently we have been blessed at the closer position.

Also I added Scott Shields to the list even though he was a  set up man just to recognize how great he was. If not for K-Rod ,Shields probably would of been a pure closer. I remember when ever K-Rod went down Shields was lights out in the closer role.

It is kind of hard to ignore Percy as the all time Angels saves leader with over 300 saves as a Angel.

I think I would vote for something like this...

1. PERCY - All time saves leader for the Angels.

2. K-Rod - Second most saves as a Angel.

3. Harvey - Loved Harvey but he left us for the Marlins.

4. Lee - Our first big time closer.

5. Moore - Between Moore and Adenhart we have had our share of tragedy with our pitchers

6. Smith - We got him on the downside of his career , But he was still pretty good.

7. Scot Shields - He was never a true closer but did close games for us when the closer could not go. Best set up man to ever wear a Angel uniform.

8. Frieri - When he is on he does well... When he is not we blow huge games. Like Mark Clear he has major control problems.

9. Clear - Had his control issues but was first pitcher to get 100 K's without a start. Mostly a set up man and occasional closer like Shields.

10. Walden - We have had some great closers who hung around for quite a while so from here on down it is a toss up...

You realize Harvey didn't leave us to go to the Marlins, but rather was left unprotected by the Angels, and the Marlins drafted him, right?

Yep, Your correct forgot about the expansion draft. All I remember is seeing him in that Marlins uniform... I believe he was left unprotected because he was starting to have arm trouble... Is that correct? 

Sorry Captain Spaulding but I'm 2 or 3 years older then the Angels as a organization. That is a lot of baseball seasons to remember off the top of my head.