• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Versatile prospect Green to join club for Friday's game

interesting.

I thought Grant Green had a decent chance of making the 25 man roster out of ST.......but the thinking must have been -- better for him to play every day at SLC than as a bench depth guy in Anaheim.

Wonder what this means for certain players on the roster (McDonald) OR is it just a case of the Halos restructuring their roster and carrying one less pitcher now that the first month of the season is in the books and adding the MIF bench depth spot they intended to carry from this point forward.

Green can help the club, just hope he gets enough playing time -- sounds as if Freese may headed for more platooning or at a minimum, being replaced for a pinch runner and then defensive replacement as early as the 6th inning......works for me.

If Grant Green does well, then Freese, Stewart and McDonald sort of become 'on the bubble'

Of those three, Stewart seems to have played well, earning more playing time at Freese's expense and McDonald seems to have fulfilled his back up/ defensive replacement role quite well.

Would seem that McDonald would be the one to go if that decision had to be made -- which is unfortunate because McDonald, IMO, has done pretty much everything the Halos have asked of him and more.......provides some great MIF and corner bench depth, especially in the late innings........

even more valuable because 1. Freese is so slow on the base paths and 2. Freese's defensive skills are about as advertised -- not that good.

McDonald is not going anywhere. He's the only one who could competently play SS. You could maybe throw Green out there for half a game but if something happened where a Aybar needed 2-4 days, it couldn't be Green.

They basically have 3 weeks to decide anything because it'll be at least that long till Hamilton/Calhoun are ready to come back. A lot of things could happen in 3 weeks.

Fletcher -- you may be right -- and if Green sits the pine here the best thing may be a taste of the bigs and then back to regular playing time at SLC.

But doesn't Green play some SS? -- they seemed to put him there during ST -- I thought he was going to make the team as a MIF bench depth guy,

I like McDonald. Didn't see him as the roster spot winner coming out of ST but IMO he's proven his worth to the club in the role he's been given.

Unfortunately my liking of some of these guys (McDonald, Stewart, Green) is the realization that Freese's best defensive position may be DH and he's not hitting well enough to be an every day DH.

I'd have Green in at third base for Freese in about the 6th inning of almost every game for the three weeks Green is up with the club.

Fletcher -- you may be right -- and if Green sits the pine here the best thing may be a taste of the bigs and then back to regular playing time at SLC.

But doesn't Green play some SS? -- they seemed to put him there during ST -- I thought he was going to make the team as a MIF bench depth guy,

I like McDonald. Didn't see him as the roster spot winner coming out of ST but IMO he's proven his worth to the club in the role he's been given.

Unfortunately my liking of some of these guys (McDonald, Stewart, Green) is the realization that Freese's best defensive position may be DH and he's not hitting well enough to be an every day DH.

I'd have Green in at third base for Freese in about the 6th inning of almost every game for the three weeks Green is up with the club.

According to the article in the OP, he's expected to see "plenty of playing time". I hope that's true.

Green becomes a right-handed-hitting option in left field, while also giving the Angels versatility at second and third base. He could take some at-bats away from struggling left-handed hitters J.B. Shuck (.156/.177/.247) and Raul Ibanez (.157/.231/.313).

I had heard Green was getting some games in in the OF. If this is the case perhaps he could serve as 4th OF until Calhoun or Hamilton get back instead of Ibanez. 

Until Freese bounces back I agree it would be good to platoon him then give bigger share of playing time to prospects like Green via pinch running / pinch hitting / defensive sub opportunities.