• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I'm starting to get the feeling that this team won't have a reliable bullpen

jshep

Burnett is a question mark right now.  Downs looks like he's lost it a la Scot Shields in his last year.  Frieri has to be the closer and he's also iffy.  Jepsen is iffy.  Not sure what to expect from Madson when he comes back. 

Hopefully somebody in the minors can surprise us.  We're gonna need it.

I'm not holding my breath on arms from the minors coming up and making a difference, at least not in the early part of the season.

Other than Maronde, I can't think of a minor league bullpen arm of note who's even hit AA. Well Tillman I guess, but he was a mess in AA.

One thing about these guys that were cut or without jobs still, they may couldn't hack it with the last team's they've played for too.

The reason I'm for Valverde is scouts say he's throwing hard again and his slider is back. His mechanics got all out of whack toward the end of last season. Before that he's been solid.

Add him and Kelly and you're there.

One thing is for certain, Dipoto is working the phones and Scioscia is not happy. That's a good thing. Let them work out this awful BP mess together.

Valverde was throwing hard last year too. He was still not anything special. Hits were up, Ks went down a lot, lefties hit him harder.

I don't think it's clear that he's actually a better pitcher than the guys I mentioned above that got cut, he's just a more well known name.

Yep, bullpen will be a liability this year. But it will still be better than last year....though not saying much.

Well, I suppose that's likely true in a similar way as being kicked in the stomach is better than being kicked in the nuts. 

Valverde was throwing hard last year too. He was still not anything special. Hits were up, Ks went down a lot, lefties hit him harder.

I don't think it's clear that he's actually a better pitcher than the guys I mentioned above that got cut, he's just a more well known name.

He was throwing hard, but his command wasn't there. He lost it. He also lost FB velo in the playoffs, which is what I was referring to. He got tattooed.

I'm willing to take the risk as he's a proven shutdown inning guy late in the game.

Though I'm also willing to look at guys like Lowe too, though he's not a strikeout guy anymore. 

Haven't really been checking out our ST pitching, but this thread is starting to worry me. 

I know the past couple seasons it's seemed like our bullpen has been terrible. 

We'd have 6+ quality innings from our starter, and they'd come in and give the lead in no time.

WIth the lack of 'come from behind' wins after the 7th inning the last couple years, it's something that needs to be fixed. 

Um, what am I missing? Not a single reliever who pitched tonight is projected to break camp. And our B squad hitting. Weave had a great night. Mission Accomplished. Score matters not a bit.

Carpenter and Stetter are fighting for a bullpen spot, so one of them is in fact projected to break camp. Frieri, Downs, Burnett, Jepsen and Williams have also looked varying degrees of bad this spring as well.

And it's not like even the mediocre veterans that we've seen a lot of are miles away from being on the team at some point with the lack of actual talent between them and the roster.

Let's just pray these guys turn shit around on their own. Oh and Madson has a speedy recovery and we have someone emerge like Kelly if he makes the 25-man roster. 

Very concerning to me is how bad Downs has been. Before the 2nd half last year, he was great for us.