• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hey Jerry, Thank You!

Gotta disagree beetles. In 2012 at the deadline we shouldnt have been sellers...we were like 3 games out in august.

It obviously didnt work out, but I still support the grienke trade

IMO rentals should only be done if winning the division is a near certainty in order to strengthen the team for the playoffs. Getting a rental as a hail Mary to try to win the division is a poor move IMO.

Fair enough

I think you have to figure in what 2012 was though. It was the 'statement' year. Pujols / CJ. Trout comes out of nowhere, etc etc.

Had haren been himself, we should have crushed anything in our path that year. Sure, weak bullpen (suprise), but it was the SP that killed us.

Grienke backing weaver was not only a good idea to make a eun for the playoffs, but a great idea for the playoffs (IMO)

IMO rentals should only be done if winning the division is a near certainty in order to strengthen the team for the playoffs. Getting a rental as a hail Mary to try to win the division is a poor move IMO.

I don't think it was a Hail Mary. Three games out when the trade was made, I thought it was a good risk.

It's worth pointing out that the Angels wouldn't be better with Segura in place of Aybar.  Segura he has struggled to hit NL pitching since June of last year (sub .650 OPS) despite playing in very hitter friendly park.  Johnny Hellweg has allowed 66 baserunners in 30 MLB innings and is out for the season (TJ surgery).  Last and least, Ariel Pena has an ERA over 5.00 and a WHIP over 1.5 at AAA.  The Angels got a legit ace for pretty cheap.  A lot was made of Segura's hot start to 2013 where he hit 8 of his career 13 HRs during a two month span but he's been nothing special since.   He is inexpensive so, he's got that but he's hardly been a world beater.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Thank you for not trading Aybar or Kendrick and not firing one of the ten best managers in baseball.

The Trumbo trade may be your best move as GM.

Agree.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be fired, it just didn't seem to belong in the statement about Dipoto. 

I don't think it was a Hail Mary. Three games out when the trade was made, I thought it was a good risk.

At that time they knew the bullpen was a complete disaster and probably had a better idea than the fans did about injuries to Haren and Wilson.

I understand the logic I just tend to be a more risk averse than the Angels front office. I feel rentals make more sense in scenarios like getting Texeira in '08, when the division lead was sizable.

It's worth pointing out that the Angels wouldn't be better with Segura in place of Aybar.  Segura he has struggled to hit NL pitching since June of last year (sub .650 OPS) despite playing in very hitter friendly park.  Johnny Hellweg has allowed 66 baserunners in 30 MLB innings and is out for the season (TJ surgery).  Last and least, Ariel Pena has an ERA over 5.00 and a WHIP over 1.5 at AAA.  The Angels got a legit ace for pretty cheap.  A lot was made of Segura's hot start to 2013 where he hit 8 of his career 13 HRs during a two month span but he's been nothing special since.   He is inexpensive so, he's got that but he's hardly been a world beater.

I understand that the move was made because Segura was blocked by Aybar, and that early 2013 was just a hot streak for him. That said, IMO it would have been smarter to trade Segura for longer term bullpen help instead of a rental. That would have helped not just in 2012 but 2013 and on as well.

Edited by ScottLux

Segura has been dogshit since midseason last year. Hellweg & Pena, meh.

I hated the deal at the time as I questioned the logic behind the move. We were trailing the Rangers by 4 games and the As by .5 games. One player is not going to get you 4 wins in 2 months.

Seemed like a desperation move. You really should only trade future assets in a mid season trade if the incoming player is under club control beyond that year and/or you have a high probability of winning your division and avoiding the coin flip wild card game.

Hopefully Jerry has learned from this mistake in 2012.

• 1 year later...

He will find another job shortly. He did a pretty good job here. Moreno just loves Scioscia too much.

He will have a tough time finding a job because most employers don't like their personal to quit at the most crucial time they are needed.

Yes he did a good job, but someone should have given him advice about timing!