• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has Scioscia lost his mind

NrM

Morin will be used in a lesser leverage situation for his debut. The reason he will use a retread MLB reliever right away is he doesn't have to worry about the guys development. With Morin or the two still in the minors they will be handled differently. We all want instant gratification but they have to do what they feel is equally in the best interest of the young player as well. Imagine if Morin comes in and gives up the lead in his first ever outing, don't you think that hurts the confidence a bit? But if he gives up a run in his first outing but we have a bit of a cushion or we are already down a few, it hurts but not as much.

I can see that to a point. But in Morin's case, he had a bad one game debut in ST and in AAA. But he shook off the first bad AAA outing and had nothing but good outings after that. It seems to me that based on that, he could handle a MLB pitching debut a little sooner than most rookies.

Us winning doesn't change the fact that Herrera and Maronde should not be on a major league roster and have no business pitching in a 3 run game. Scioscia walked a fine line with his bullpen management last night and we're fortunate Jepsen/Kohn/Salas were uncharacteristically solid.

Regarding Morin, I can understand building his confidence but if we're waiting for a blowout before playing him we could be waiting for a long time. We haven't had a lopsided loss since the opening series so we're basically waiting for another game where we jump out to a 9-0 lead by the 5th inning. Those kinds of games are few and far between even for this offense, There's no reason for the 2 worst relievers in the pen to get priority over Morin. 

Scioscia walked a fine line with his bullpen management last night and we're fortunate Jepsen/Kohn/Salas were uncharacteristically solid.

See, this is the kind of stuff that I just do not understand.  Kohn has been the 8th inning guy lately but Salas sucks with inherited runners.

So Scioscia flips them and uses Kohn in the 6th because Kohn has not allowed an inherited runner all year and then he gives Salas a clean slate inning which is clearly where he feels more comfortable.  Both guys did great.

That was a great job his management of that aspect was great.

Using Herrera was the mistake.   He should be used in games that we are down by more than three or up by at least 10 runs.

Outside of Salas sucking with inherited runners, I just do not understand people that bitch and moan about Salas and Kohn.  I would hate to see this teams if they were not performing at all.

See, this is the kind of stuff that I just do not understand.  Kohn has been the 8th inning guy lately but Salas sucks with inherited runners.

So Scioscia flips them and uses Kohn in the 6th because Kohn has not allowed an inherited runner all year and then he gives Salas a clean slate inning which is clearly where he feels more comfortable.  Both guys did great.

Using Herrera was the mistake.   He should be used in games that we are down by more than three or up by at least 10 runs.

Outside of Salas sucking with inherited runners, I just do not understand people that bitch and moan about Salas and Kohn.  I would hate to see this teams if they were not performing at all.

I'm not complaining about Salas, Kohn or Jepsen. I said they did a great job. My problem is leading off the 7th with Herrera and then exacerbating the problem by replacing him with Maronde. If we weren't going to put in Morin then Jepsen should've just led off the inning. 

Scioscia walked a fine line with his bullpen management last night and we're fortunate Jepsen/Kohn/Salas were uncharacteristically solid.

I'm not complaining about Salas, Kohn or Jepsen. I said they did a great job. My problem is leading off the 7th with Herrera and then exacerbating the problem by replacing him with Maronde. If we weren't going to put in Morin then Jepsen should've just led off the inning. 

you're right, saying that Kohn and Salas were "uncharacteristically solid" in situations that they have been pretty much all year sounds like a great vote of confidence.

Putting in Herrera was just the dumbest thing ever though.  

I can't really be too critical about bullpen management. If anyone comes into the game without "Smith" on his jersey, it's nervous time, even Kohn. He's been solid but he's got 10 walks in 15 innings. It is only a matter of time before he blows up. 

you're right, saying that Kohn and Salas were "uncharacteristically solid" in situations that they have been pretty much all year sounds like a great vote of confidence.

Putting in Herrera was just the dumbest thing ever though.  

They have been pretty shaky in past years so I'm still being cautiously optimistic. Or to rephrase, optimistically cautious 

Edited by AngelsFaninGA

AFGA, 

If we go until September with these guys in critical games then I will be worried.  I am just getting tired of people railing on them right now when they clearly are not the problem.

Frieri has sucked and we have two guys who really do not belong on an MLB roster.  Maronde is just benefiting from being the only lefty in the org.

+1

See my bullpen tweaking thread.  

In it, I say to continue using Salas (NO inherited runners) and Smith for the 8th/9th innings, and see if Jepsen and Kohn can share the 3rd spot.  

Jepsen has been real good for 3 weeks.   The problem is, he rarely can put together more than 1-2 good months at a time.  

Kohn can't continue to allow only 6 hits every 14 innings, and thus the walks will catch up to him eventually.  

Frieri shouldn't sniff a close game in the 7th through 9th innings until he puts together at least 3 or 4 more solid outings.

Morin needs to start being used now.

Maronde needs to go back to SLC when either J. Alvarez or Burnett is ready. 

Herrera needs to go back to SLC real soon.   I sure hope DDLR is ready in about 2 weeks.

Are you kidding me? Howie bunting two guys over for Trout...that is a no brainer!!!

Kendrick has historically hit into ALOT of double plays/rally killings. If that would have happened, I can you only imagine how many bloggers would have said MS should be fired for not having Howie bunt.

Evidence? You should like a quack only using personal anecdotes.

If folks complained Howie didn't bunt early in the game then they just don't understand math.

A couple things I want to point out...

1. There is no such thing as "skill with inherited runners." Salas has had a bad streak of allowing runners to score but it's just a small sample fluke. Prior to this season he was pretty much average (32 percent)

2. Do you guys really think Morin's handling of a bad debut at AAA means anything for how he'd handle a bad debut in the majors? There's a little difference. It makes perfect sense to me that a manager would want to find a soft landing spot for a rookie.

And you don't call up a reliever because you want to use any of them. What you want is your starter to pitch a complete game shutout. Failing that, you use only the relievers you have to use to get through the game. It's not a showcase or Little League, where everyone has to play a certain amount of time.

That being said, with the amount of work the other relievers have had lately, it's a safe bet Morin will pitch pretty soon.

stopping inherited runners from scoring is the most important thing you want out of a reliever.  to discount it and act is if it's not an essential part of his job is pretty baffling.

as for kohn, he has a good arm and good stuff but it's wasted because he cant find the strike zone most of the time.  how many times has he walked the lead off hitter on 4 pitches now?  too many to count any more.  again not what you want out of a reliever.  he got away with it last night, but it will catch up to him eventually.

I keep seeing people say "we won" and then basically thinking that ends the argument. I mean, I understand the sentiment. Winning is the only thing that matters. The hows and the whys are irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. Hell, I even sympathize with this line of thinking; If the Angels win, I really don't give a shit how it happened, I'll go to bed happy.

That said, it doesn't mean there aren't negative things to discuss, nor does it mean those things shouldn't be discussed. Like, there's a legitimate concern about Weaver not being able to go deep into games. Sure the team won and Weaver got the W which in the end is all that matters, but when looking ahead, his performance thus far has been a concern. That's the biggest issue right there. People are happy the team won this game but are concerned for the future games ahead.

Just like this thread. The OP is concerned with Mike's decisions costing the team wins in the future. I don't agree with his post but I'm not going to just say "we won stop complaining!". If we only discussed the positives during wins then this board would get pretty dull and slow down. I mean how much more can you say?

"Great win!" "Yay we won!" "LTBU!" "Good job Aybar!". It's all saying the same damn thing and doesn't add any discussion to the forum.

Would you rather have CC Lee?

He has not allowed any of his eight inherited runners to score.

He also has allowed five runs in 7 innings.

The most important skill for a reliever is not preventing inherited runners from scoring. It is, as it is with every pitcher, getting hitters out. If you do that, you'll also prevent inherited runners from scoring. If you're somehow doing one but not the other, like Salas, it's a fluke that will correct itself.

I keep seeing people say "we won" and then basically thinking that ends the argument. I mean, I understand the sentiment. Winning is the only thing that matters. The hows and the whys are irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. Hell, I even sympathize with this line of thinking; If the Angels win, I really don't give a shit how it happened, I'll go to bed happy.

That said, it doesn't mean there aren't negative things to discuss, nor does it mean those things shouldn't be discussed. Like, there's a legitimate concern about Weaver not being able to go deep into games. Sure the team won and Weaver got the W which in the end is all that matters, but when looking ahead, his performance thus far has been a concern. That's the biggest issue right there. People are happy the team won this game but are concerned for the future games ahead.

Just like this thread. The OP is concerned with Mike's decisions costing the team wins in the future. I don't agree with his post but I'm not going to just say "we won stop complaining!". If we only discussed the positives during wins then this board would get pretty dull and slow down. I mean how much more can you say?

"Great win!" "Yay we won!" "LTBU!" "Good job Aybar!". It's all saying the same damn thing and doesn't add any discussion to the forum.

well said.

Yea there really isn't anything to discuss or debate about if everything has to be positive when we win.

Would you rather have CC Lee?

He has not allowed any of his eight inherited runners to score.

He also has allowed five runs in 7 innings.

The most important skill for a reliever is not preventing inherited runners from scoring. It is, as it is with every pitcher, getting hitters out. If you do that, you'll also prevent inherited runners from scoring. If you're somehow doing one but not the other, like Salas, it's a fluke that will correct itself.

i would definitely take lee if he keeps up that inherited runner mark lol

i think preventing inherited runners from scoring is an actual skill, but that's just my opinion.  some people rise to the occasion, some dont - just like being a closer.  

Wrong. Constructive criticism isn't the problem. It's the constant nit picking crybaby trolling is the issue where is can be monotonous. I have stated the BP has been atrocious. I always love winning. It seems that you are creating the problem by complaining about people that are happy they won and asserting indirectly the need to replicate the actions of people that exacerbate in negativity. "We won the game" crowd from what i have read doesn't seem to have an issue with people offering constructive criticism, neither should you judge. Everyone has their own opinion. It can't be conform to your own point of view on telling people how to act. By the way. we did win the game right?

I'm sorry but I can't take any of your posts seriously.

Well, you can't have it both ways. I have no issue with people having differing opinions, neither should you. I'm not sorry by the way. Don't worry, when the Angels lose, I will be more negative for you :P

Edited by seenoevil