• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tyler Skaggs

Taylor

Halos org gets a lot of flack, especially with the teams performance over the past few years despite their high payroll, but they knocked it out of the park with this deal. Loved it from the start

They recognized that they could fix SKaggs mechanics and get his stuff back, and saw that they could buy low on him from a team who was likely frustrated by his poor performance. 2 years ago they wouldn't have gotten SKaggs straight up for Trumbo, and here they are getting him PLUS Santiago. Slam dunk move

The lack of strikeouts so far is a little surprising, but hard to complain about a 22 year old who is throwing strikes, keeping the ball on the ground, and going deep into games already.

Really nice job so far by him.

Seems like he's focused on efficiency right now. He gets a lot of 0-2 counts on hitters, but ends up putting them away on grounders after that. He'll start turning some of those into K's

he's looked great.  he's a pitcher and not just a thrower.  guys who throw a lot of strikes give up some hrs.   he'll learn to limit damage on those over time. 

someone mentioned his FB velocity being down, but Pitch/fx actually had his avg FB velo up a bit from his previous starts. 

Rotation is set up pretty well for a while now.  I'd like to get a higher-tier starter this offseason, but with the way pitching costs are looking I'm not sure I wanna cough up $160M for someone like Scherzer or Lester. 

Definitely need to start building up some more depth though.

More impressive than the stats posted in the OP is his pitch counts. The kid has been going deep into games and not throwing that many pitches. Last night was a bit of an except - as I think it was the first time he'd gone any more than a few pitchers over 100 the entire season.

This is important because he is still young, and he's never thrown 200 innings before. We will need to keep him fresh for the stretch run.

More impressive than the stats posted in the OP is his pitch counts. The kid has been going deep into games and not throwing that many pitches. Last night was a bit of an except - as I think it was the first time he'd gone any more than a few pitchers over 100 the entire season.

This is important because he is still young, and he's never thrown 200 innings before. We will need to keep him fresh for the stretch run.

Very good point. Controlling your pitch count and going deep into the games are very valuable.